Skip to main content

How does BBAU compare?

PerreAliakmon

To all the people who've watched international BBs, how does BBAU compare?
  • Do international BBs have more interesting twists? Superpowers?
  • Is there more bitching/less bitching?
  • Are the house politics more interesting? Complex? Subtle/explicit?
  • Does it seem more/less scripted?
  • Are the HMs more/less interesting in general?
Thanks for your input guys!
I'm just really curious, as I don't really have enough internet to go and stream entire seasons and it's kind of pointless watching BB unless you watch it all.

From what I've watched/read about of other countries, BBUK seems to be the most similar to our version. I think i've seen some UK fans post here about AU copying tasks etc from BBUK. I think in the UK they also show more swearing & sexual stuff?

I think BBUS tends to be more like survivor, where the housemates are allowed to discuss their nominations & end up forming alliances, and they also vote each other out. (US fans- do the public vote at all?)

And im not sure about the one in Canada. I know there are plenty of other BBs in other countries but I also have no idea about them.

Well this thread has taken off. Sorry I can't add anything as I haven't seen any of the overseas shows.

I’ve only watched BBUK, and just based on the most recent (non-Celeb) season, there did seem to be a fair bit of scripting. It appeared as though they wanted a really controversial series (Power Housemate theme), and as soon as things looked to be settling down or ‘enemies’ were becoming friendlier with each other they would introduce a task or twist to rock the boat. Eg showing housemates diary room footage of each other (including nominations), and tasks where they had to rate housemates on negative aspects (most fake, most two-faced etc). So definitely a lot of drama, and pretty much from day one!

I guess it depends what you like, but for me the fights and conflict got a bit much after a while, and the scripting became pretty obvious. An example that springs to mind is when one housemate was fake evicted. This person was then put in a room where they could watch other HMs conversations, and were shown quite a few clips of others bitching about them. There was no public vote to decide who the fake evictee would be, and the person chosen by BB production just so happened to be the most controversial (and therefore likely to ‘kick-off':rolleyes:).

It was an interesting season with some really entertaining housemates (and I’ll probably watch the next one) but I found it generally lacking in fun and laughter, which in turn made me appreciate our BBAU version that much more. :)

Loved BBCan2 - it was the first international series I watched so getting used to Head of House and Power of Vetos, nomination talk ... alliances ... it added a new level of interest PLUS there were live feeds although since they reset at odd times and I was often coming in at an hour when they were just going to bed so could rewind a few hours to view the lead up to them going to bed and just when I was getting to an interesting part the reset would happen ... however it was FREE live feeds so who can complain?

Loved the BBCAN2 house - hadn't seen a 2 storey house in BBAU plus loved the bold colours .. and getting my head around the fact that even their backyard was inside and climate controlled and the only place they got to see outside was through the open roof of the hottub where they sat around in big heavy lumber jackets and blankets because it was so cold! and yet they'd be in backyard area in shorts and teeshirts and going in the pool ...

Found the BBUS house too busy and think the BBAU house has followed its design statement with the ugly busy wallpapers ... wtf with the flamingo and leaf wallpaper this year! nightmarish!!!

Loved that the BBCan2 HGs at least seemed more open to making moves whereas the BB16 HM's are pathetic with it this year and most if not all votes have been unanimous! However the scheming and manipulation has been pretty good

BBUK I was really disappointed in - because of the power given to one HM (who ultimately won) to have free pass to the finale - on NIGHT ONE! ridiculous! that particular HM then seemed to be highly favoured by production and despite several warnings over bullying behaviour was a protected species. People had kept saying how great BBUK was but for me the highlight was the BBOTS shows - especially the Bit on the Psych one with several of the regular panelists being particularly interesting.

There was way too much information from the outside given to the BBUK Housemates ... I didn't like the fact that they could hear the boos and cheers from live audiences - it gave them way too much insight on how the public was perceiving them and it saw distinct behavioural changes for some housemates. They also allowed the HM's to see footage of other HM's discussing them so that in the end no private discussion could be thought to be private from other HM's - its one thing for the viewers to see everything but I've never seen the level of BB tattling to HM's in this way before ... it just added to an already overly bitchy vibe in the house so that the drama was always just on the bitchy level and it got to be too much

After seeing the conniving and manipulation and campaigning from International versions at different levels I'm not sure how I'm going to enjoy viewing BBAU which now is going to feel more like a soap opera/popularity contest . and with even the basic Live Updates from BBMumbai being cut from us I don't see them keeping up the momentum of interest if the HM's end up being a boring lot

For me as a Yank, I love BBAUS the best. It's different than the US version where it's very cutthroat, alliances form, backstabbing, lying, manipulations and lots of game talk. The public does not vote on the US version, accept for Season 1. Their has always been an HOH (Head of Household) who decides the two nominees. The nominees, HOH and 3 random players drawn from chips in a bag play in the Power of Veto comp which allows the winner to remove a nominee and then HOH has to name a replacement nom, then the house votes on who is evicted. There is also the Have/Have Nots, it use to always be a competition but this year they switched it to where the HOH named who the Have Nots would be. The Have nots have to sleep in some horrible room with very uncomfortable conditions and eat only what is called BB Slop and the foods that the public votes on. The food we vote on use to be pairs of something odd like Bok Choy and Baby Food. This year that changed to...to more of theme like (shoot can't remember the names but it was like Translyvania Stew or Bloody something but the foods would be in three like one was um...oions, tofu and peas I think. The room this year the Have Nots slept in was like an ice room, temps got down to 30's at night and they slept on hard lumpy blocks of ice (not real ice but fashioned to look like that). Big Brother does not interact with them like BBAUS does, other than a few moments of telling them to "stop that" or "sleeping is only permitted in the bedrooms" and "please stop singing". Their DRs we see no interaction at all, just a snippets of well pretty rehearsed portions of the DRS. The house is just plain freaking ugly compare to BBAUS, there is no pool and only astro turf for grass, a pool table and a hot tub. There are no punishments at all, only Have Nots can get a penalty nom if they eat something they are not suppose to which happened only once I think. Only a 3-4 of ppl have been kicked out due to violence or distruction.

I will say Seasons 1-7 of BBUS were far better though I did like BB10 and BB11 a lot but that was due to the HGs themselves. The past couple of season in the US have sucked majorly. This year was just one huge alliance of boys who just controlled everything the entire season, no power shifts no nothing. BORING. Last year was horrible in more ways than one, I actually quit watching that season (first time ever I quit a season) because the ppl were so vile and the racism was just more than I could take....if it had just been a little bit I could have dealt with it but this was just too much, the bullying was beyond belief and even the boards got like that. *shivers thinking of last year*

BBAUS is very refreshing to me, it's way more fun...and I love the interactions with BB. The house is WAY nicer and the housemates are usually WAY better. This season seams different so far but as far as past AUS seasons, I loved the comps where they had to earn food and then work the budget. I think that's a great idea and should be adopted in the US. I also liked the Friday Night games, sad they are not doing that this year. The secret rooms etc. are cool too. The not allowing game talk is odd to me but it makes the show more fun and more creativity among the HM's compared to ours which the majority of it is gametalk, plotting and alliances but there have been some fun times too, one this year was when a girl chased down a boy, pinned him down and stuffed a dirty sock in his mouth then gave him a massive wedgy, it was so freaking funny.

Sorry to go on and on but thought I should explain the US version for those that don't know. If anyone wants to watch a US version, I highly recommend Seasons 2, 6, 10, 11 and 12 but only for Brittany Haynes who was freaking hilarious esp in her DRs but the season was eh boys brigade.

Woow thanks for all your input guys! It's so interesting with an international perspective ^^ one show, so many different facets. Can BB be read as a reflection of society, or at least society's preferences for reality TV? If so, it's definitely interesting to compare and contrast all the different BBs out there x)

I wish everyone could watch the French version. Secret Story.

Only a week ago someone on this forum told me how to watch SS online. Since then that is all I do.

BB AU is incredibly bad. What we see could be shown in 10 minutes.

With SS they can talk about nominations, which makes the HMs form alliances. Yes, there is a lot of talks behind people's back, but it makes it interesting.

In one word SS has a lot more substance. The show is full of game play, surprises. You can't never know what's next. It keeps us interested. No need for alcohol or taking their food away, the HMs are interesting to watch because we see them. We see what they do or talk about more than just 2 minutes. We get the sense that we are watching them all day. The editing is good. They don't have adds every 8 minutes. I thinks for a one hour show they have two add breaks. Online they have none.
Even the house is nicer, full of little places where HMs can go and bitch, lol. I don't think the French are more bitchy, I think we don't see the HMs enough here.

This year we have good HMs here, if only we could watch them. The people editing are terribly bad here, they don't let us follow a all conversation, or a all scene. Just bits here and there. It is all their faults, because they have everything to give us a good show.

yes they DO - after all they have the cameras rolling 24/7 so do they honestly think all we want to see is crap?
they expect us to vote & commit money to do so without actually giving us the substance (perfect word!) we need to form real impressions of the hms

having said that I don't vote and sadly BBAU continues to circle the drain for in because of poor content, shoddy editing, disjointed & sloppy production and imo an arrogant disinterest in listening to and delivering what the voting public want / need from them

they could at least address the question of regular updates (either the short video clips every hour or so) or twitter feed which is informative rather than brain-numbing drivel!

My opinion:
1st BBAU - Best overall casting, best house, best hostess, best twists, public votes to evict.
2nd BBUK - They cast for personality clashes and hookups. They air cursing and nudity. Funny comps. Public votes to save or evict.
3rd BBUS - Huge swings of poor to good seasons. Predictable, Houseguests vote to evict. This often leads a remaining dull cast of guests.
4th BBCAN - Nice house, weak hostess, weak casting - they need a lesson from AU as they are new.

Anyone who says BBAU has the best cast, best hostess and best twists is essentially an idiot. The cast is pretty much exactly the same from one year to the next, the host is one of the worst I've seen and they've not had a decent twist since season 3!

Re: Secret Story. Don't know if they still do it but something they used to do which was great was have a secret within the house which if solved would grant it's winner a pass to the final. It wasn't a crap "find a ticket in a plant pot" type secret - it was connecting a series of clues within the decor and having to actually figure it out, which usually took HMs a few weeks.

Anyone who says BBAU has the best cast, best hostess and best twists is essentially an idiot. The cast is pretty much exactly the same from one year to the next, the host is one of the worst I've seen and they've not had a decent twist since season 3!

Re: Secret Story. Don't know if they still do it but something they used to do which was great was have a secret within the house which if solved would grant it's winner a pass to the final. It wasn't a crap "find a ticket in a plant pot" type secret - it was connecting a series of clues within the decor and having to actually figure it out, which usually took HMs a few weeks.

BBAU is definitely the best of the 4 I listed. I'm not an idiot. Which ones have you seen of the 4 I listed?

My opinion:
1st BBAU - Best overall casting, best house, best hostess, best twists, public votes to evict.
2nd BBUK - They cast for personality clashes and hookups. They air cursing and nudity. Funny comps. Public votes to save or evict.
3rd BBUS - Huge swings of poor to good seasons. Predictable, Houseguests vote to evict. This often leads a remaining dull cast of guests.
4th BBCAN - Nice house, weak hostess, weak casting - they need a lesson from AU as they are new.
Emma Willis, the BBUK hostess, is leagues above any other.

From what I've watched/read about of other countries, BBUK seems to be the most similar to our version. I think i've seen some UK fans post here about AU copying tasks etc from BBUK. I think in the UK they also show more swearing & sexual stuff?

I think BBUS tends to be more like survivor, where the housemates are allowed to discuss their nominations & end up forming alliances, and they also vote each other out. (US fans- do the public vote at all?)

And im not sure about the one in Canada. I know there are plenty of other BBs in other countries but I also have no idea about them.

Yes, they vote..... but not to evict or save anyone. It's mostly for stupid things like what the Have-Nots will be eating or what you want Team America to do.

BBAU is definitely the best of the 4 I listed. I'm not an idiot. Which ones have you seen of the 4 I listed?
I've seen the lot - followed every series of all of them and watch well over 30 of the series combined. That's freaking me out actually working out how much of my life I've wasted on Big Brother - probably well over 2000 hours! I've probably watched at least one full episode of most versions around the world, so no need to question my BB credentials!

Your 4th place statement is just as incorrect IMO - Arisa is a brilliant host (one of my favourites) and the cast for both seasons knocks socks off the Aussies. If you want a bland safe cast BB Aus is the show for you - but it's the same cast played by different people every year. I pretty much agree with your statements for 2nd and 3rd though.

I struggle to judge BBUK now as I'm done with it - IMO the show on C5 is not Big Brother (and it's becoming that way on C9 in Australia too!). Historically from 2000-2010 in most years BBUK absolutely shit over every other version going, but now it's just shit.

For what it's worth:

House: (Best to worst): BBUK, BB Aus, BB Can, BBUS
Host: Arisa Cox, Emma Willis, Queen Chenbot, Sonia Kindergarten
Twists: (based on current series): BB Can, BBUSA, BB Aus, BBUK
Twists: (historically): BBUK, BB Aus, BBUSA
Cast: BBUK, BB Can, BBUSA, BB Aus

BB Canada is the best. It combines the best elements of US, UK and AU. IMO, I think overall Id rank them:
Canada, UK, US, AU

US was absolutely dreadful this season but overall past ones have been much better. I think where Australia falls with me is that they sell this as a family show. The tone between the live shows here and UK is such a drastic difference. UK truly embraces the fighting, drama and outrageous housemates

Yes, Secret Story is all about finding the HMs secret and the house Secret. The Secret for the place on final are very hard to find, it takes brain to solve it. I love it so much. Unfortunately I am not able to watch all the videos, they keep on stopping, still, I keep on trying even if it is not all, it is still better than BB AU.

Last night was a joke, Sonia playing a little game with the HMs, and then keeps on repeating what we know already, it when on and on. All I want to see is the HMs, what they do, I don't care about those stupid gimmicks. I watch Q&A it was much better, I couldn't stand BB anymore.

I think I'd like to see a random swapping between public voting and HM voting and between vote to save or vote to evict ... just to ensure there is not a situation where a certain group dominate throughout and it becomes a done deal who is going each week and thus boring with its inevitability

I'd love to see the predictability of challenges/comps/double evictions/party nights disappear altogether - to me they just represent a laziness on the production side - I realise comps take a lot of planning - so plan ahead to change it up!!! take away the BB formula

I would love US BB to become more interactive with BBUS HM's and an end to what appears to be highly directed DR rants ...

BBUK could focus less on seeking out the drama so that its not constant fighting and there is a nicer less combative feel to the place

BBCan - I don't know - I really enjoyed watching my first season. The HMs were for the most part likeable AND they did do the switcheroo to allow Canada to vote to evict and changed the downward spiral that was happening ... and in that it seemed their production team were thinking on their feet rather than sitting on their bums and delegating things to BBMumbai. Would like to see Arissa be a little harder with the questions to the evicted HM's

and in BBUS and BBCan I'd love to see part of each week devoted to showing life in the jury house - because I couldn't work out how much they get to see from the house once they've departed, how much they get to discuss what is going on and how much they can talk about where their vote might be going ...

They all have their good points, and their bad. I'm no expert, and any comments we make are generalisations, but for me ...

BBAU is more good natured, and we have the funniest voice of BB, but with its family friendly focus we miss a lot of important stuff.
BBUK has great casting, but the production team increasingly interfere too much.
BBUS is interestingly strategic, but relies on lies and deceit.
BBCAN is a friendlier version of BBUS, but still dominated by game talk.

Depends what you like to watch.

I've only watched BBUK and BBAU and IMO BBUK is better. I don't mind so much about tasks and ideas being reused, on the contrary it's a good idea to use successful things from another country/season.

But I'm really really not liking the editing of BBAU. It can be really really disjointed and sometimes it's clear it doesn't fit with the timeline they're trying to feed us.

Back