Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Woohoo! Who's back!! Great episode, taped it and am saving it to replay on Christmas eve!!! Wow lucky brits, all we get at Christmas is the same boring rehashed crap.....

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the "Runaway Bride"

Catherine Tate did a wonderful job of playing for a change a ditzy
redhead instead of a blonde, and I loved her. She was great.....

It's a pity she didn't become the new companion and I think that
sucks. She rocked.

My favourite moments were the TARDIS chasing down the taxi cab
on the road and the way the Doc got Donna to jump onboard. Loved
the kids in the other car going nuts and watching everything, then
cheering as the Doc finally saves her.

Come to think of it I loved the fact that we got to see a lot of flying
from the TARDIS. That was way cool.

Didn't like the fact they reused the same costumes from the last
xmas special and didn't think up a new set of ones. Would have
been nice if they had kept the spinning christmas trees of death
though. They were fun..

I'll miss Ms Tate....

I did some loud laughing from the fact fact they drained the Thames
to kill the spiders coming up from the centre of the Earth. Only minor
nitpick is that if that were so where's all the molten rock that should
in theory come spewing up?

Last edited:
No molten rock because, as the Doctor discovered, there is no molten core of the Earth. Rather than being entirely made of rock, the centre of the Earth is a Racnoss ship.

No molten rock because, as the Doctor discovered, there is no molten core of the Earth. Rather than being entirely made of rock, the centre of the Earth is a Racnoss ship.

Ah...... I must have missed that line.

Still doesn't explain volcanoes then does it :D

'Runaway Bride'

Trivia from wiki:

The end of "Doomsday" is featured as part of the pre-title sequence, although the scene was actually refilmed. In his online podcast commentary for the episode, David Tennant explained that this was due to a change in lighting supervisors, and the one hired for this episode liked to light the TARDIS interior differently; the scene therefore had to be refilmed in order to match.
The first shot of the zoom-in to Earth was previously used in "Rose", "The Christmas Invasion" and "Army of Ghosts", but this time it zooms into the church rather than the Powell Estate.
The Robotic Santas and Killer Christmas Trees from "The Christmas Invasion" return in this story. The Santas are unmasked for the first time.
This story is the first mention of the ancient form of energy known as "Huon particles", as an element of the Heart of the TARDIS.
This episode reveals that the London branch of the Torchwood Institute had a base under the Thames Barrier. Donna remarks on how amazing it is that a London landmark could be a secret base, although the Doctor gives a less than surprised response. London landmarks have previously been bases for the Nestene Consciousness, based under the London Eye in "Rose", UNIT under the Tower of London in "The Christmas Invasion", the Cybermen in the parallel Earth's Battersea Power Station, the Torchwood Institute in 1 Canada Square in "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" in the revived series. Those seen in the original series include the War Machines based in BT Tower in The War Machines (1966) and the Chameleons in Gatwick Airport in The Faceless Ones (1967). Although not set in London, Torchwood Three's base beneath Roald Dahl Plass uses the same concept.
The Doctor makes use of the Tribophysical waveform macro-kinetic extrapolator, last seen generating a force field in "The Parting of the Ways", to shunt the TARDIS to a different location once it lands. It appears to have been integrated into the TARDIS systems, as a portion of it is covered with TARDIS "coral".
This is the first time that Gallifrey, the Doctor's home planet, has been referred to by name on screen since the series relaunched in 2005. Gallifrey is also referred to in some of the tie-in novels for the new series.
The tank commander who opens fire on the Empress's ship is heard to say that he has orders from "Mr Saxon". The name, which is later revealed to be a name used by the Master, first appeared in the 2006 series episode "Love & Monsters" as part of a headline on a copy of The Daily Telegraph being read by the Abzorbaloff.[2] It also features in the spin-off series Torchwood, as a poster on the door of the Ritz Ballroom in the episode "Captain Jack Harkness" and features as the main plot arc keyword of the subsequent season of Doctor Who.
The use of the TARDIS lamp to fire a discharge (in this case to excite the atmosphere and produce snow) is also a first for the series.
Donna Noble joins a list of characters who are considered companions,[3][4] even though they don't meet the usual criteria. Like Grace Holloway before her (another disputed companion), Donna declines an invitiation to join the Doctor in his travels. Another single-story companion whose status is disputed is Sara Kingdom from the First Doctor era.

References to other stories
The Doctor refers to the "spaceship overhead" seen in "The Christmas Invasion" (these events given as having taken place the previous year), and to the Battle of Canary Wharf between the Daleks and Cybermen, as seen in "Doomsday". However, Donna had not seen any of these events due to a hangover and a scuba-diving trip in Spain, respectively.
At the end of this episode, the TARDIS takes off vertically like a rocket. The first time this was seen was in the Second Doctor serial Fury from the Deep (1968).
The unmasking of the robot Santa driving the taxi is reminiscent of the Episode Two cliffhanger of Terror of the Autons (1971), when the Third Doctor, while inside a police patrol car, unmasks an Auton disguised as a police officer.
A bus is shown carrying an advertisement for Henrik's department stores (the department store Rose Tyler worked in), whose logos it imitates. The store itself, and an employee holding an advertising banner for it, are featured in the background of the scene where the Doctor uses the cashpoint.
When the Doctor asks about Lance, he says, "He's not a bit overweight with a zip round his head, is he?". This is a reference to the Slitheen.
The Doctor first used the sonic screwdriver to manipulate a cashpoint in "The Long Game".

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 27
Wow thats a lot info to take in :) but thanks interesting

I wonder how the The Runaway Bride rated last night?

Some spoilers there in the Wikipedia info. Sure, I don't mind as I know what has happened in the main series up to now but there are plenty of people who may not want to know about
Mister Saxon being the Master and various other
information divulged by that entry.

What is going on? What no spoilers? ho hum!!! If Plas was still around he would have given me some snippets of the lastest episode oh well will have to wait till i watch it Saturday morning :)

HEHE Well Plasmo is not around anymore - trying to get back into US life again after a cool winter change in SYD. Tampa is BEAUTIFUL!! So warm... :)

I'm using wifi hotspots at present until 'net is reconnected so currently am behind in my Doctor Who & The 4400 eps. Haven't even had a chance to email meerkat the Wonder Woman pics yet :) I'll d/l the new eps as soon as I can though! I'm dying to see the latest DW!!!!
And I miss my BBBA updates - I don't even know who has been evicted hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
HEHE Well Plasmo is not around anymore - trying to get back into US life again after a cool winter change in SYD. Tampa is BEAUTIFUL!! So warm... :)

I'm using wifi hotspots at present until 'net is reconnected so currently am behind in my Doctor Who & The 4400 eps. Haven't even had a chance to email meerkat the Wonder Woman pics yet :) I'll d/l the new eps as soon as I can though! I'm dying to see the latest DW!!!!
And I miss my BBBA updates - I don't even know who has been evicted hahaha

Oh Plas nice to see you made it safely to the otherside :) lol I still haven't seen last weeks ep either....forgot to d/load it last night lol doh!!!

It's cold here brrr!!! Thomas & Andrew were evicted, but you probably have read that now...

You are right hanky there are some spoilers in that piece from wiki i just went back and re read it properly....:eek:

So, for those that have seen all or close to all of Series 3, which one has
been your favourite?

I'm only up to episode 4 - Daleks in Manhattan and can't wait to check
out the rest of them.

been your favourite?

out the rest of them.

Blink & Utopia have been my fave so far waiting to see The Sound of Drums...:D

Some spoilers there in the Wikipedia info. Sure, I don't mind as I know what has happened in the main series up to now but there are plenty of people who may not want to know about
My apologies hankyspanky ... I shall endeavour to edit the spoilers out in future.

Attachments

• ddddd.png
    ddddd.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 32
been your favourite?

out the rest of them.
So far I love all of the second half of the third season! I don't want to see a Dalek anytime soon again! Just the finale to go and i'm sure it will be a ripper! :)

I wonder how the The Runaway Bride rated last night?

Thursday:
1. Seven News Seven 1.510
2. RPA Where Are They Now Nine 1.391
3. Today Tonight Seven 1.326
4. Getaway Nine 1.320
5. National Nine News Nine 1.267
6. How I Met Your Mother Seven 1.247
7. A Current Affair Nine 1.189
8. ABC News ABC 1.185
9. That 70s Show Seven 1.182
10. Home and Away Seven 1.181
11. Temptation Nine 1.116
12. Lost Seven 1.107
13. Law and Order: Criminal Intent Ten 1.087
14. Law and Order: SVU Ten 1.081
15. The Footy Show Nine 1.072
16. The Amazing Race 0.930m
17. Pirate Master 0.778m
18. Dr Who 0.846m
19. Heroes 0.546m

Source

So, for those that have seen all or close to all of Series 3, which one has been your favourite?

Hands down without a shadow of doubt. Blink.

The Dalek stuff was meh, and completely ruined a potentially classic villian.

So far I love all of the second half of the third season! I don't want to see a Dalek anytime soon again! Just the finale to go and i'm sure it will be a ripper! :)

Well i'll certainly be watching episode 5 tomorrow, my download limit resets then (a measly 7 gig from 12pm till 12 am and 14 gig from 12am to 12pm). Ah, screw it, i might just wait until midnight and watch it then.

I should be well and truly tanked by midnight anyway. Birthday tomorrow, something to bypass anyway.

**Thanks for the ratings info Burn, great to see DW is so popular, certainly more than I thought it was.

Well i'll certainly be watching episode 5 tomorrow, my download limit resets then (a measly 7 gig from 12pm till 12 am and 14 gig from 12am to 12pm). Ah, screw it, i might just wait until midnight and watch it then.

I should be well and truly tanked by midnight anyway. Birthday tomorrow, something to bypass anyway.

**Thanks for the ratings info Burn, great to see DW is so popular, certainly more than I thought it was.
Ha i have 5gig from 12am to 8am then 5gig 8am till midnight.....now that is measly i am watching the Sound of Drums right now so far so good half way through..... :D Oh happy birthday fnarkl

Thanks Burn for answering question about the ratings not too shabby i guess :)

OK done...wow that was FANTASTIC loved the music lol cannot wait for the next episode...thankfully only have to wait till tomorrow :) I was gripped to my screen watching that ep, RTD has out done himself in these last episodes...what a guy he's bought DW to a new level i think :)

happy birthday fnarkl

OK done...wow that was FANTASTIC loved the music lol cannot wait for the next episode...thankfully only have to wait till tomorrow :) I was gripped to my screen watching that ep, RTD has out done himself in these last episodes...what a guy he's bought DW to a new level i think :)

Stop teasing me. I really want to see the rest of the series now.

Thanks for the HB.

Stop teasing me. I really want to see the rest of the series now.

Thanks for the HB.

Ha ha teasing would be putting some spoilers in but i won't do that because i know how tempting they can be to read them lol

and you are welcome :)

Ha ha teasing would be putting some spoilers in but i won't do that because i know how tempting they can be to read them lol

and you are welcome :)

If i really wanted spoilers it would be easy to find them on the 'net but I don't want to do that as I've always enjoyed DW. It only started 5 years after I was born. Yes, I'm not a recent convert and I think Tom Baker was my favourite from the 'Old' series.

I'm really enjoying the new series, I just wish Christopher Eccleston had done another. Not that I have anything against David Tennant, I think he's doing DW justice in a big way. I just enjoyed CE's role. It's too bad that he felt that he would be typecast into that kind of role (well, that's what I read anyway)

(1+1/2 hrs to go and i'll hopefully be watching episode 5)

If i really wanted spoilers it would be easy to find them on the 'net but I don't want to do that as I've always enjoyed DW. It only started 5 years after I was born. Yes, I'm not a recent convert and I think Tom Baker was my favourite from the 'Old' series.

I'm really enjoying the new series, I just wish Christopher Eccleston had done another. Not that I have anything against David Tennant, I think he's doing DW justice in a big way. I just enjoyed CE's role. It's too bad that he felt that he would be typecast into that kind of role (well, that's what I read anyway)

(1+1/2 hrs to go and i'll hopefully be watching episode 5)

So as a "old schooler" (I was about five when I first started watching it, which was two and a half decades ago) fnarkl, and with Tom Baker being your favourite (not suprising. :p ), would you be willing to admit that Eccelston or Tennant are better?

Must be about a year ago, i'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, where I poured my heart out about the life changing event when I finally admitted that to me, Tennant had finally surpassed Tom Baker. And yes, it was a bit of a life changing event for me because for pretty much as long as I could remember, Tom Baker was "the one". And when you've had a belief pretty much all your life it's hard to change.

I dread the day though that I have to change my opinion about Colin Baker. :p

Back