Skip to main content

Doctor Who

...I receive a Doctor Who newsletter from the BBC every now and then and this article was in it about my #1 favourite Doctor (I'm sure that you all know WHO that is by now)... lol!... yes... David Tennant... he still has a really strong connection to this day with his Doctor Who character which is really great to know for me at least...

...in the blurb on the magazine cover it says "David Tennant leads a classic line-up for the 10th Doctor's comeback!"... say what?????... that's the first that I've heard of it... wow!... it would be sensational if that happens in the new series... I'd be totally gobsmacked if it happened... and by 'classic line-up' does that mean that the other earlier reincarnations of The Doctor's will make an appearance too?... woohoo!... if it happens on the show itself and not just the audio adventures only... anyhow... here is the article... cheers.

________________________________________________________________________________________

David Tennant: Doctor Who ‘runs through my life like a stick of rock’
By Cameron McEwan on Wednesday 18 October 2017

2ezef0je0az1000

Tenth Doctor actor David Tennant has been chatting with Doctor Who Magazine 518 all about his time on Doctor Who and what it means to him. The issue is available from Oct 19, 2017.

David was asked how he feels looking back on the role which he started playing in 2005, he commented:

“I always feel fond towards it. I always feel like it’s a happy place to be. Obviously a day like this brings it all back a little more keenly, but it’s always a very fond thing to return to, the world of Doctor Who. It’s always very welcoming, and friendly, and familiar. I suppose I don’t feel detached enough from it to feel sentimental, really. Maybe if I’d been completely banished from it for ten years...?

But of course it never quite goes away, does it? There’s no escaping it, nor would I want to, really.

Because Doctor Who sort of runs through my life like a stick of rock. It’s sort of always bubbling under, and you know it always will.”

Tennant was also seen as the Doctor in the 2013 50th Anniversary special, The Day of the Doctor, in which he delivered the immortal line, describing the Time Lord’s name as a promise – “Never cruel or cowardly”. David describes it as a “mission statement.” The actor continues:

“We can all have mottos that we live by; it doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re entirely faithful to them. It can be who you aspire to be. It doesn’t mean you can’t be inconsistent sometimes. That’s what makes any character and any person interesting – their inconsistencies, the little flaws in the weft of their character.

I don’t know if the Doctor always needs to be consistent to that, but I think broadly speaking he is. At least, he tries.”

dwm518-cover-59e3271b.jpg

You can read the full interview with David in the latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine which also includes a fantastic interview with Nardole actor Matt Lucas and much, much more.

DWM 518 is available from Oct 19, 2017

Why the new male companions on Doctor Who will be good for boys

• Paul Chai
In July, the world of geekdom had a communal pink fit over the casting of Jodie Whittaker as the first-ever female lead on Doctor Who. The usual forces were blamed: quotas, the loony left and the ever-present political correctness GONE MAD (not my caps).

Not every Doctor Who fan threatened to take their toy sonic screwdriver and go home, but there did seem to be a lot of outrage surrounding how illogical this gender switch was – about a show where the lead character travels in time and lives forever.
1508916546652.jpg

The new Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker will have two male companions. Photo: Twitter

This week's announcement that Whittaker's female doctor would have two male companions (and a female companion as well) seemed to generate a lot less rage. The BBC said Bradley Walsh will play Graham, Tosin Cole will play Ryan and Mandip Gill is to star as Yasmin in the upcoming series.

The casting of male companions is not radical since the doctor has had a variety of fellow travellers, male and female, earthlings and aliens over the years, but the casting of Walsh and Cole does provide a TV rarity: a pop-culture role model where a male plays the supporting role to a female in charge.

As a dad of two young boys, I am not worried about female actors stepping into the roles of men. My sons can always cast an eye back on the past 50 years of television if they are ever feeling a wee bit emasculated. What does worry me is the lazy men-in-charge model might come to seem the norm to my kids, so this latest development is a win.

My eldest son is a Doctor Who fan who took his hero's gender switch in his stride, but when asked to name a man on TV who plays second banana to a woman, he struggled. He decided on "something in space with uniforms", which I eventually deciphered as him watching Star Trek: Voyager with me … once.

And he's right, the dynamic of Captain Kathryn Janeway and her 2IC Commander Chakotay is a strong and believable combo from a series that always tried to push racial and gender barriers on the airwaves. The two are a real team, where gender is irrelevant save for a hinted-at (and totally unnecessary) romance in later seasons.

Trying a bit harder, I came up with a pair of Olivias: Captain Olivia Benson on Law&Order: SVU and Olivia Pope in Scandal – but it was slim pickings.

All too often when the female boss does occur it falls into the "bitch boss" trope where an angry, childless ball-breaker is on a mission to crush the hopes and dreams of all her employees because she secretly feels she is not good enough (remember the no kids thing?).

Think Sandra Bullock in The Proposal, Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl, Vanessa Williams in Ugly Betty – and you could throw in Cersei Lannister for good measure.

There have been plenty of horrible male bosses, too, but due to the silver screen ubiquity of a man running the show you do get the opportunity for more nuances in a number of these roles.

I do not want my kids to grow up thinking that a relationship with a female boss needs to be problematic, that a woman in charge is someone our hero must overcome to succeed, or romance into submission.

I would like them to see female bosses as the norm, not the exception; and while most of that is on me and my wife and how we raise our kids, having a few positive role models in the TV shows that we watch is not going to hurt.

For all the froth of the keyboard warriors concerned about their heroes losing their penises, female bosses are still a rarity, male subordinates even more so.

And to paraphrase Macklemore from Same Love: one time-travelling female boss with a man posse isn't gonna solve it all – but it's a damn good place to start.

Paul Chai is a freelance journalist.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/new...ho-will-be-good-for-boys-20171024-gz70m5.html

...hi all... I'm totally stoked because I went online a couple of weeks ago to buy this cover for my Samsung 3 (yes I know... an old model phone for an old fart)... lol!... anyhow... this is it...

DSC01307.JPG
DSC01308.JPG

but when you close it this is what is on the cover... the front first... tadaaaaaah!...

DSC01309.JPG

...and now the back cover...

DSC01310.JPG

...I totally love it!... some more pics...

DSC01311.JPG
DSC01312.JPG

...what I like about it too is that the clasp that keeps it closed is magnetic instead of a button... and... if I put a landscape photo of a scene on the screen of the phone... when I open The Tardis... it really is bigger on the inside!... lol!... I love it! love it! LOVE IT!... cheers.

Does anyone here ever listened to these audio adventures?

Not obsessively. I don't buy them (there are many hundreds of them) but I've listened to some through a friend who does, and enjoyed what I've heard. Every Doctor and companion is featured, with the original actors where still alive.

...I guess that it was always inevitable that whatever outfit Jodie chose that people would pick the shit out of it regardless eh?... and being a woman it was always going to be a lot more critical too... in the article below two people compare her outfit to Mork's of course but also Wesley Crusher's outfit in STTNG... critics will be critics I guess?... Jodie should do the show naked to shut them all up!... oh wait...

...I don't care about her costume... I'm more annoyed that they have changed The Tardis!... the plaque has become Black and the St John's Ambulance logo has disappeared too... now THAT'S something to whinge about!... from this website below... cheers.

71fPjXNWTCL._SL1200_.jpg

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-11-09/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-costume-outfit/

All the Doctor Who references in Jodie Whittaker’s new costume

The boots, the braces, the stripes - the Thirteenth Doctor's new look is packed with references to previous incarnations, and beyond...

By Thomas Ling, Huw Fullerton, Paul Jones

Thursday, 9th November 2017 at 4:18 pm

The Doctor’s got a brand new look: Jodie Whittaker’s new Time Lord outfit has been unveiled. And it’s very different to what we’ve seen in modern Who: no sonic glasses, no leather jackets and no bow ties.

However, look close enough and there are several nods and homages to Doctors past. Here’s how the Whoniverse so far may have influenced Thirteen’s sartorial choices…

The braces and boots (1, 6)
A very interesting choice as another recent Doctor once sported similar clothes: Matt Smith. As well as his bow tie, the Eleventh Doctor wore bright red braces under his tweed jacket.

Although Whittaker’s braces are mustard yellow, the comparison is unavoidable, especially considering the costume designer behind this outfit, Ray Holman, also put together Matt Smith’s wardrobe.

The stripes (2, 4)
A key feature of Whittaker’s new getup is the stripes that appear on her black jumper and along the edges of her grey coat. The colours look very similar to the pattern that appears on Fourth Doctor Tom Baker’s famous scarf…

You know, the one that Unit’s Who fangirl Osgood wears in the modern show?

126263-887664b.jpg

But those stripes are also a horizontal echo of Bill’s top from the last series.

69912529001_5638084898001_5637968949001-vs-c3db192.jpg

And they might also remind some fans of Peter Davison’s Fifth Doctor too. Just look at the stripes on his jumper and the coloured edges of his similarly beige jacket.

769-b8a6be7.jpg

But many have pointed out that the stripes, combined with the braces and blue trousers, resemble a look favoured by another alien, Robin William’s Mork from classic US sitcom Mork and Mindy.

Doctor I’m experiencing some kind of time displacement! Every time I see the new Doctor outfit I see Mork from Ork #DoctorWho #NanuNanu pic.twitter.com/k6P8J0fxZT

— Marc Hogan (@Marc_Hogan) November 9, 2017

1.jpg

Or Star Trek’s Wesley Crusher…

My first thought when seeing the new #DoctorWho outfit… those stripes. @wilw pic.twitter.com/a0EIHFfpX1

— Rob Logan (@TheKnightAngel) November 9, 2017

2.jpg

We’re guessing it’s not what Who intended, but we’ll take a sci-fi reference wherever we can get it.

The Coat (2)
This seems like an amalgamation of several past Doctors: the grey colour of Sylvester McCoy’s jacket tailored to the length seen on David Tennant’s and Tom Baker’s coat (not to mention Time Lord Romana’s too).

mccoy-99f1886.jpg

David_Tennant_as_Dr_Who-d577db5.jpg

And is that a hood we see hiding around Thirteen’s neck? If so, this could hark back to Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi’s hoodie phase (not to mention the hooded top Whittaker wore herself when she was first unveiled as the Doctor).

peter-capaldi-hoodie-f47154b.jpg

jodie-whittaker-3594849.jpg

The high-waisted trousers (5)
It’s not a look we’ve seen in any Doctor from the modern series, but turn back time to Second Doctor Patrick Troughton and you can see high-riding trousers held up by braces.

#OTD 1966: the wonderful Patrick Troughton made his debut as #DoctorWho in the first episode of #ThePowerOfTheDaleks pic.twitter.com/EEFG1ptXwy

— atruedrwhofan (@atruedrwhofan) November 5, 2017

3.jpg

The earrings (3)
Okay, this isn’t technically a call back to another Doctor, but it’s worth mentioning that Whittaker is now wearing earrings – at the top of the ear and at the lobe. Possibly going for a swashbuckling space pirate vibe?

Whittaker-earrings-2c351d1.jpg

And, if you really want to get geeky about it, we haven’t had a main Doctor Who character who regularly wears noticeable earrings since the days of Donna Noble. We’ll let you decide if that’s a good thing or not.

donna-tate-partners-in-crime-feeeeba.jpg

The new TARDIS doesn't bother me either. As long as it's a blue police box, I have absolutely no need for it to stay exactly the same as it was 0ver 50/30 or even 10 years ago. I honestly can't fathom why people would get so upset about a few colour and lettering changes. It isn't a real police box, it's a piece of sentient Gallifreyan technology which chooses to look like a police box. Minor changes like this are no different to a new hairstyle.

Maybe I'm just very accepting, but I'm happy to roll with most changes. The only thing I absolutely hated in new DW was the teletubby Daleks, and this is nowhere near as shocking as they were.

The new TARDIS doesn't bother me either. As long as it's a blue police box, I have absolutely no need for it to stay exactly the same as it was 0ver 50/30 or even 10 years ago. I honestly can't fathom why people would get so upset about a few colour and lettering changes. It isn't a real police box, it's a piece of sentient Gallifreyan technology which chooses to look like a police box. Minor changes like this are no different to a new hairstyle.

Maybe I'm just very accepting, but I'm happy to roll with most changes. The only thing I absolutely hated in new DW was the teletubby Daleks, and this is nowhere near as shocking as they were.

...yes that's fair enough Meglos... but... but... but you don't understand... it 's not the same as my new recently bought Telephone case now!!!!!... mine has the white plaque!... it's a travesty I tells ya!!!!... oh the inhumanity of it all!!!!!...lol!... cheers.

dsc01309-jpg.53613

Yeah, when pedantic nitpicking becomes more important to you than the thrill of the show, you should probably stop watching.

Back