Skip to main content

Doctor Who

...aw nuts... I just went to it and it says 'was Live' just below the video... that would've been so cool to watch ... thanks for posting it kxk... cheers.

LOL, I never!
13%2Bwhittaker%2Bcalendar%2BSML.jpg

Yes please.

Alex Kingston wants a River Song/Captain Jack Harkness episode in Doctor Who
If not their own full spin-off
river_jack-809d4e2.jpg

By Radio Times Staff

Friday, 29th September 2017 at 8:54 am
In all their years on BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who, it’s hard to believe that popular characters Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) and River Song (Alex Kingston) have never shared screentime.

Both time-travelling lotharios who love conning their way around the galaxy with a vortex manipulator, we can’t help but feel they’d do well in their own Doctor Who spin-off, or even just an episode where they finally meet – and now it turns out that River Song actor Alex Kingston feels the exact same way.

“I think it’d be great if she met with Captain Jack Harkness,” Kingston said at Edmonton Expo in Canada. “It’s funny because John and I, we talk about, we imagine, fantasise about all the possibilities.”

And with change afoot in the Whoniverse, Kingston thinks River and Jack’s time is now – even if it is just for a guest storyline.

“Certainly I think that now Chris Chibnall is showrunning, it would kind of be fantastic,” Kingston said.

“Not necessarily a spin-off show, but it kind of would be great if even the Doctor happened upon a bar in the universe where River and Captain Jack happened to be sitting, having a drink or something. I think it’d be cool!

GettyImages-468105698-1133847.jpg

Alex Kingston and John Barrowman at 2015’s Emerald City comic-con

“So, tweet about it,” she concluded, a call to action that we’re sure dedicated Who fans will take on.

However, Kingston said there could be just one snag – exiting series showrunner Steven Moffat, who created River for the Doctor Who role and has been the sole storyteller for her adventures since.

“Obviously Steven is no longer showrunning, but I think Steven is very attached to the character of River,” she said. “I mean he killed her off right at the beginning, but I think it was sort of not easy him to necessarily completely let her go.

“Hence I think the reason why one night in Darillium is 25 years. I mean, we’re not even past breakfast yet.

“Steven wouldn’t let anyone else write for my character. So it’s whether he now graciously releases River into the hands of other writers. It’d be nice if he did! So we’ll see.”

Fingers crossed Mr Moffat will finally cut the apron strings and let the River/Jack spin-off episode (or series) come to fruition. The world of Doctor Who NEEDS this to happen.

This is made for ME......
(can get other months I assume)

22365717_1987173444829425_579469610611131878_n.png

...bwahaha!... that is brilliant!... do you already have it kxk or just wish that you had it?... it's awesome!... lol!... and... is that you in your Avatar by any chance?... or is it a celebrity of some sort?... just curious... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
A few accusations about box ticking going around, and it does have a bit of diverse-office-stock-photo feel to it. But that impression won’t last and I will continue to wait and see.

Seems so! And a fourth semi-regular character, played by a singer I've heard of from the nineties.
People are already complaining about "political correctness", but I think it looks great.

...it doesn't really matter what is 'politically correct' when it comes to Doctor Who... for instance... everybody knows that the Daleks are wholly based on the Nazi's and their regime... just say that suddenly the Germans started to complain that it's an insult to their past History and that they don't need to be reminded of the Nazi's each time a Dalek appears... nothing would change with the show regardless... such is the stoic stance of the writers of the show...

...as has been well documented on these Forums... I was totally against a female being The Doctor... not because I'm anti-feminist... it was because I just thought of my first impressions of Doctor Who with William Hartnell playing Susan's grandfather as well as being The Doctor... it just seemed to me that The Doctor becoming a woman was just going down the wrong path that's all... after reading everyone's posts as to why it would benefit the show and you all then gave me reasons why I then accepted that it needed to be done at one stage so why not now?...so then I stopped spitting the dummy about it that The Doctor should always be a man... afterall... Peter Capaldi has been the closest thing to William Hartnell since his tenure ended (for me at least)... I had been spoiled by that... hence my dummy spit...

...but one of the reasons that Doctor Who is still going so strong is because of shock changes and experiments with cast changes... these new people are in the exact same place such as Catherine Tate was as 'Donna' and recently Matt Lucas as 'Nardole' were for instance... a lot of people protested at the time saying that a Comedian/Comedienne shouldn't be on the show but they worked out so well... I still regard Catherine Tate's 'Donna' has been The Doctor's best female companion ever in the new comeback series so far... but as I say and have said... I'm going to give Jodie Whittaker all due respect about her now being The Doctor (I'm not going to say that I like it though at this stage but we'll see I guess?) and I'll also give due respect to the new Companions too until at least a few episodes in...

...I'm actually looking forward to seeing both Jodie and Bradley in this series... the naysayers can go stuff themselves... they need to watch the newbies to the cast actually perform in Doctor Who before they criticise them... it took me a while to accept Jodie's tenure as The Doctor to be from reading all of your posts on these Forums for me to realise that myself as I said above lol!... I'm sure that if an old fart my age can still learn that then they all can!... just enjoy the fact that Doctor Who is in production for at least the next 5 years and enjoy the ride I reckon... long live Doctor Who!... cheers.

Wow!! I didn’t expect this news so soon!!

Three new TARDIS crew members?

...this has surprised me too inumeenu... perhaps Chris Chibnall figures that the sooner Whovian's hear who they will be that by the time that the show kicks off again the furore of disgruntled Whovians would have abated by then?... just a theory on my part though...cheers.

A few accusations about box ticking going around, and it does have a bit of diverse-office-stock-photo feel to it. But that impression won’t last and I will continue to wait and see.

...well he has taken over a juggernaut of a show so a lot is riding on his shoulders so if he is 'playing it safe' with these choices then he can't be lynched for it I believe... afterall... Moffatt made sure that it would be difficult for Chibnall to top his tenure as the show writer didn't he?... (in my opinion anyway)... just saying... cheers.

Chris seems to be going down the Unit Petrwee/RTD family kind of Doctor Who with all these new companions.

...I don't mind it if he goes down the same road as Russell T Davis at all... I believe that RTD is one of the best TV show writers that Britain has... perhaps Chris Chibnall is a big fan of his style of writing?... hence your intuitive comparison reepbot?... cheers.

It's a no win situation. Cast a diverse range of people of differing ages and ethnicities and it's "political correctness'. Cast a white female and it's "discrimination against everyone else". So stupid, the joy of Doctor Who is that ANYONE can be part of it.

Back