Skip to main content

Books to Buy

Longbourn by Jo Baker. It's Pride and Prejudice turned on it's head. It's written from the point of view of the servants and you'll never read Jane Austen with the same mind set again. Just brilliant. 5/5 bloody big and bright flashing stars for this one.

Last edited:
The authors I read and have read are: Diana Gabaldon - Outlander series (Fabulous read)
Peter Watts / Wilbur Smith / Dan Brown / Beverley Harper (sadly now deceased) / Bryce Courtney (sadly now deceased)

Water for Elephants

I absolutely loved it. It is a wonderful story told through the eyes of a 92 or 94 year old man... He can't quite remember which.

5 stars

I just bought M Train by the singer Patti Smith, which she describes as a 'roadmap to my life'. I haven't started reading yet but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.

I was also given a gorgeous book for my birthday recently, called Wendy Whiteley and the Secret Garden by Janet Hawley, which is all about the amazing 'guerrilla garden' that Wendy created in Sydney on abandoned public land. I read an article years ago about how it began when she was suffering deep depression and grieving over the loss of her husband and daughter, and have been there many times since then. It's a beautiful place and such an inspiring story.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-07/in-quotes:-wendy-whitely-on-her-'secret-garden'/6751300

I'm reading "Still Alice" at the moment and I'm struggling with it. It's just not captivating me.

Glad I didn't buy it and borrowed it from the library instead. I'll stick with it as I have yet to see the movie version of it.

I'm going back, way back and rereading The Scarlet Pimpernel. Haven't read it for several decades. It's a library book.

I'm going back, way back and rereading The Scarlet Pimpernel. Haven't read it for several decades. It's a library book.
An unreturned library book?
anigif_enhanced-17398-1403992155-1_preview.gif

I actually read your post as you had an unreturned library book you are going to read again and I was like :jawdrop: Khun Khun has a shady past as a book thief.:cautious:

Joking ;)
You silly duffer, lol. I did have an overdue fine though.

I'm reading Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. It's a memoir about her art, her time in the band Sonic Youth and the disintegration of her 30 year marriage to her band mate Thurston Moore due to his infidelity. It's very interesting. I'm not a big fiction reader anymore. I should probably read more of it.

I'm reading Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. It's a memoir about her art, her time in the band Sonic Youth and the disintegration of her 30 year marriage to her band mate Thurston Moore due to his infidelity. It's very interesting. I'm not a big fiction reader anymore. I should probably read more of it.

Sounds Interesting - I am not a fiction fan - I can dream my own fiction books every night :)

Is it still Interesting?

I had no idea what to expect (a loaner, and not something I would usually pick), but couldn't put it down.

It's been recently made into a movie as well - they did a great job.
Totes agree!

I have 20% to go and should finish it today.

I think the way the story is told through 5 year old eyes is really clever. I very seldom see the movie version of books I have read. I am always happy to stay with my mental movie version.

Another cracker in my view is Girl On A Train.

I have fallen in love with reading again, so if you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Back