Skip to main content

Big Brother Mzansi (South Africa)

Brekkie

Staff member
The first series of BB South Africa in a decade launched today, and they've gone for a secrets theme but so far it seems to be executed incredibly well.

The 12 HMs to enter the main house were each given a secret mission - nothing too outrageous, but seem quite fun rather than cruel:

Kat and Mzamo are to welcome all the Housemates into the house
MK has to act narcissistic and talk about himself all evening
Loko has to chew gum continually
Mandla is playing a crazed hypochondriac
Jase and Lexi will be Jacuzzi bound
Vanessa and Poolie who will have to learn all the surnames of the Housemates
Thando’s Mission is to secretly collect a piece of clothing from each Housemate and wear it without them noticing
Sol and Lola have to dance whenever LED lights on the diary room door flash

BB also revealed six more HMs are in a "secret chamber", with two set to move into the main house. He also told viewers the HMs have been told the series runs for 91 days, but actually it'll just run for 63.

It's an English language series so easy enough to follow - though might be difficult finding the episodes.
http://bigbrothermzansi.dstv.com/

Disappointing that this is essentially another BB Africa and geared more towards a black audience vs actually showing diversity in South Africa's population...

Yeah I thought it would be a more diverse group, but it still looks fun.

I watched the launch on the official site, but not sure yet if they are posting the rest of the season.

I really don't think I can sit through two hours of it but from first impressions I can't say I'm a fan of the host... "Biggie" really? He's a little too street to be considered a legitimate presenter...

That being said I really like this house... My favorite part of the house is the upper level... This might actually be the first true multilevel house in the world... I really don't consider the BBUS and BBCAN to really be multilevel houses as it is really only one room contained elevated above the main living spaces within the house... The BBM house actually has two bedrooms and the main bathroom on the second level with the living room and kitchen on the main level... I LOVE the entry in to the house through the Backyard and transition from the studio in to the house...

I'm not too sure how the HoH will play in to the format but I can't really say I'm all that excited about it... Given that BBA has already used HoH in whatever form they've reworked it in I think it would have been nice for South African viewers to see BBM go back to basics... And again it just makes this version seem like yet another BB Africa...

Calling BB "Biggie"... I just can't... And since when has BB been a talent showcase?

Last edited:
BB has pretty much been called "Biggie" from the start of BB Africa.

I like the entrance to the house - I think just having that slight void between the set and the house makes all the difference in maintaining "no contact with the outside world", and it gives the HMs a slight chance to compose themselves as they move from house to studio (or vice versa).

Last edited:
BB has pretty much been called "Biggie" from the start of BB Africa.

I like the entrance to the house - I think just having that slight void between the set and the house makes all the difference in maintaining "no contact with the outside world", and it gives the HMs a slight chance to compose themselves as they move from house to studio (or vice versa).

It would be interesting if BBCAN did something like that with either the HoH room or the Front Door... It's probably a pipe dream as challenges are usually held in the "backyard" and it's unlikely they've built a speperate arena... That said I saw a video where they went in to the workshop and that area could just as easily serve a dual purpose... And would allow set pieces to be built in place... And moved later to an outdoor staging area...

Considering that due to the weather they don't actually need a big back yard there is no reason why challenges couldn't be in a separate arena, with a small actual outdoor yard like last year for a hot tub and bit of fresh air, then maybe a small area attached to house a pool and gym.

Considering that due to the weather they don't actually need a big back yard there is no reason why challenges couldn't be in a separate arena, with a small actual outdoor yard like last year for a hot tub and bit of fresh air, then maybe a small area attached to house a pool and gym.

I'm not sure what you mean about weather? The series technically takes place in spring, however it's still no exactly weather a lot of Canadian's would enjoy spending time outdoors in... I thought the size of the "yard" was decent last year considering a pool and seating area's took up at least a quarter of the space. I suppose if the area wasn't being used to host challenges it could be small-er by not by much... I think they'd have to give the HG's some area's where they can move around and goof off... And I doubt they'd ditch the pool in favor of adding more floor space...

stripes.png

news.png
Latest NewsBack
DEVELOPING: Fire at Sasani Studios
bb-e1409672775692.jpg

Reports are coming through that the Big Brother Africa house at Sasani Studios in Joburg is on fire. More as the story develops.

UPDATE: MultiChoice has informed us that there are no reports of injuries from the fire.

M-Net and Endemol have released the following statement:

M-Net and Endemol SA advise that due to a devastating fire at the Big Brother house on 2 September 2014 , Big Brother Hotshots will not launch this Sunday (7 September) as scheduled. The cause of the fire at this stage is unknown and investigations will commence as soon as it is safe to do so. At this stage M-Net and Endemol are urgently looking for an alternative Big Brother house in which to film the production, however as this production has highly technical infrastructure, camera and edit requirements an alternative is not immediately available. Every effort will be made to find a solution as quickly as possible to ensure that Africa’s biggest reality show will continue.

Photo: M-Net/Twitter

Spooky - the second BB house to burn down in a year (Italy's also was destroyed by fire weeks before the series), and the Aussie house came close to disaster too.

Well they built it really quickly. 3 weeks apparently for the newest Big brother: Africa series.

It's called hotshots this time and features a WHOOOOOLE lotta wannabe entertainment stars throughout 13 African nations

BBA.jpg

I'm happy to do a separate thread on how it develops this season if people are interested.

There's 26 housemates... yeesh

Back