Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada - House revealed

http://ca.screen.yahoo.com/big-brother-canada-house-tour-163000793.html

One bedroom, seven beds.

One indoor back yard (not so nice IMO, though LOL at sun loungers for sunbathing inside), plus a secret outdoor garden.

All quite nice - though much smaller than it looked on the initial construction pics IMO. Probably more inspired by BBUK than BBUSA layout wise, though decor wise more US.

I have a feeling that there is more than one bedroom and I agree the mural in the backyard is UGLY... I'm actually thinking that there is more than just a single bedroom... Also surprising that there is no shot of a memory wall?

I actually really like this house I mean other than the ugly mural and I'm extremely happy that they've not just simply copied the BBUS style... My favorite part has to be the Staircase leading in to the house... I have a feeling the stage will be similar to the UK stage...

I'm really feeling the UK inspired layout with the main living space being essentially one open room... I agree that the house looks much smaller than it originally did in the construction pics, that being said I'm not sure we are really seeing the full house... I believe there are a few other rooms we're not being shown... And the "backyard" doesn't appear large enough to set up challenges, so there must be another area for those as well...

I think this is a pretty good indication that BB Canada will in fact set itself apart from BBUS, rather than simply be a carbon copy... The producers have made it pretty clear that they like BBUK, so I expect we'll see some UK style twists reworked in to the American format...

The only other downfall I can see with the house is the furniture... You can totally tell the furniture was all bought at The Brick...

ETA: The DR was revealed on the ET Canada website and it's rather plain...

Arisa DR.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the outdoor spa area... Not much was said about it... As I said before there MUST be more to this house that we're not being shown...

15nukus.jpg

Also no round table?

9jf5l4.jpg

Also odd that they don't have the traditional seating for the nominees either...

Here's the outdoor spa area... Not much was said about it... As I said before there MUST be more to this house that we're not being shown...

View attachment 30897

Considering the house tour ends with Arisa showing us the hidden door in the yard, there's definitely more than we've been shown.

But do we even know for sure (beyond Kingston's opinion) that they're doing the American format? Everything we know so far - no memory wall, no nominee seats, the rectangular table, the "yard", two of the contestants (and the producers, apparently including some of the US producers) being fans of the European versions - suggests to me this may be closer to the British version than to the American version, with some of the American gameplay added so it's not a total departure from the US game.

Considering the house tour ends with Arisa showing us the hidden door in the yard, there's definitely more than we've been shown.

But do we even know for sure (beyond Kingston's opinion) that they're doing the American format? Everything we know so far - no memory wall, no nominee seats, the rectangular table, the "yard", two of the contestants (and the producers, apparently including some of the US producers) being fans of the European versions - suggests to me this may be closer to the British version than to the American version, with some of the American gameplay added so it's not a total departure from the US game.

It is a well known and documented fact that BB Canada WILL in fact be based on the US format... This is NOT just my opinion... If you had watched the full version of the house tour it shows Arisa going beyond the mysterious door... She also takes a few moments to talk about the HoH "palace" as she likes to call it... But she says if she were to show us it she'd "have to kill you"... If that doesn't give you a good indication that the show will in fact be based on the US format I don't know what is...

They've made no secret that it'll follow the US format, and it would be a big unnecessary risk not to. The media day also follows the US format, right down to just six playing the Veto - but there are some notable exceptions with BBUK style bumpers between scenes - and Big Brother being "Big Brother", not Dave the producer. I was (and still kind of am) hoping the Canadians would do something with the Veto, even if it's just going back to the days of everyone playing it.

I agree with you Kingston there is almost certainly a secret second bedroom - probably a "have not " room.

Last edited:
From the media day I can tell you there is a second bedroom along the bedroom corridor, which the media guys dubbed the "sex room". There is also a second staircase opposite the dining room which presumably leads to the HoH room, while the diary room is under entrance stairs. The "front of the house" is more US style than BBUK - just 3 or 4 steps up to the front door, not a flight of stairs. I suspect (and hope) there is more to the set than we've seen so far.

Some caps:

Front of the house:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000050483.jpg

Entrance balcony:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000005305.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000003536.jpg

bbcanadapart2mp4_000677143.jpg

bbcanadapart2mp4_000675475.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000019019.jpg

(brown door is to the diary room)

Lounge/Dining:
bbcanadapart2mp4_000674541.jpg

bbcanadapart2mp4_000789089.jpg

Lounge:
bbcanadapart2mp4_000551751.jpg

bbcanadapart2mp4_000426359.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000918451.jpg

(green corridor leads to bedroom/bathroom)

Dining Room:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000830463.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000377010.jpg

Diary Room (located under entrance balcony):
bbcanadapart2mp4_000374741.jpg

bbcanadapart2mp4_000331164.jpg

HoH Stairs (I think), Kitchen:
Big_Brother_Canada_Housemp4_000010176.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000382248.jpg

Bedroom corridor:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000320120.jpg

(first door is bathroom, far door is small bedroom, view from main bedroom)

Bedroom:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000104738.jpg

Back yard:
bbcanadapart1mp4_000450617.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000456356.jpg

bbcanadapart1mp4_000713513.jpg

Outdoor spa:
Big_Brother_Canada_Housemp4_000089556.jpg

Although it feels very different to BBUSA the main living space isn't actually that different. The diary room, lounge, dining area, kitchen and backyard are all pretty much in the same layout. Obviously the entrance being above the diary room is different and I guess entering the house from a different point makes it look a lot different too. The bedroom/bathroom area is one corridor running parallel to the living area rather than two running off it, while the HoH suite is kind of opposite where it is in the US, and would effectively be over Julie's studio. The point being is this house could pretty easily fit into the US house if they put the effort in to refit it.

Kingston - where does Canadian TV, and cable in particular, stand on stronger language and possible nudity. I'm guessing you're not as uptight as Americans, so is there a possibility the show may be a bit more adult. The reason I ask is in the media vid at one point the word "fuck" is spoken, and being in the mindset of it being BBUS-esque that took me by surprise.

I agree I think if they were to change anything it should be the veto... It could change the dynamics of the game and still leave the familiarity pillars of the US format in place...

I watched what I guess was an edited down version of the media day you watched as no one made reference to the other bedroom and I did not get to see the entrance to the DR... I originally thought it was the first door in the bedroom corridor... I really hope Arisa can tighten up her scripts... I'm hoping that was just media day first time jitters... I'm still hoping there is a memory wall somewhere in the house... I don't know why but it just seems like something that goes along with the US format... Another thing is the nomination or key box is also a must... Again it just wouldn't be a US style BB without them... It would be like Survivor without torches...

Another thing I would love to see along with the UK style bumpers is an adaptation of the current editing style they are using...

BTW It doesn't look like we'll be seeing too many elaborate challenges given the limited space in the "yard"...

Kingston - where does Canadian TV, and cable in particular, stand on stronger language and possible nudity. I'm guessing you're not as uptight as Americans, so is there a possibility the show may be a bit more adult. The reason I ask is in the media vid at one point the word "fuck" is spoken, and being in the mindset of it being BBUS-esque that took me by surprise.

I'm really not sure to tell you the truth as I don't own a TV and therefore I really don't watch Slice... However I know when Food Network (another channel Shaw owns) aired Hell Kitchen the episodes aired uncensored... I guess it would all depend on the time and the demographic they think are watching... I"m guessing they will try and downplay the swearing...

Another FOTH shot:
bbcanfoth.jpg

Interesting... Again it looks like they've done a decent job mixing a BBUK/BBAU into something that resembles BBUS... I've always said that if Canada were to do a proper BB that it needed it have it's own look and feel, but one that wouldn't scare off the loyal fans of BBUS... I'm impressed... Now I just hope they've re-worked the game a little to match...

I wonder in terms of the launch if we are going to see an audience? Maybe not one that is open to the public but one made up of staff/friends/family...I'm also wondering how the HG's will enter?

I have to laugh at the people on the BBQ that are complaining about the open concept of the house and there aren't enough places to plot and scheme... To me the "game" is secondary to getting to know people... This should actually encourage more of the social aspects of the show that I think the US producers have forgotten in series past... I might actually enjoy the feeds rather than watching the factions hide in the HoH room or in other areas of the house, running over the same plot points over and over again...

I agree, and I think it not being so easy to stategize could be a real selling point - it'll still happen, but the houseguests will have to be a bit more cunning about it in order not to get court. There is still plenty of places for them to go and do it anyway - as Arisa said in her VT I think the hot tub area will be one place due to it's relative privacy, while as well as the main bedroom there is also a second small room (which had a double bed for media day) - and both you and I suspect they'll be another secret bedroom, so if that's in addition to the small one they'll have the same number of rooms as BBUSA, and if it just replaces the current "sex room" they'll have just one room less, and the same as BBUSA had in the old house.

I agree, and I think it not being so easy to stategize could be a real selling point - it'll still happen, but the houseguests will have to be a bit more cunning about it in order not to get court. There is still plenty of places for them to go and do it anyway - as Arisa said in her VT I think the hot tub area will be one place due to it's relative privacy, while as well as the main bedroom there is also a second small room (which had a double bed for media day) - and both you and I suspect they'll be another secret bedroom, so if that's in addition to the small one they'll have the same number of rooms as BBUSA, and if it just replaces the current "sex room" they'll have just one room less, and the same as BBUSA had in the old house.

Can you send me a link to the media day you watched? I thumbed through another cut of the day last night and while I saw a few people going in and out of the door I never did see what the room was... I don't believe it was talked about either... Then again I skipped over parts...

I agree plotting and scheming will happen regardless... That being said BBUS has become way too predictable due to the fact that everything is laid out for us beforehand... It does however look from what I've seen like there is an area outside the HoH room as well... Putting the hot tub in the outdoor area pretty much assures that it's going to be used much in the same way the old gym space in the US is... I remember during All-Stars Allison from BB4 joked about the spy screen and how in her season she had to be a lot more tactful... I think the people bitching are just spoiled...

Back