Skip to main content

BB15 US - Discussion

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
Just watched the BB15 premier... So far I'm really not in to a single HM but here are a few of my thoughts about the premier...

I thought it was interesting that Julie started the premier from within the house... She didn't give a full house tour but it was nice to see the season start in a new way without the typical BB announcer/narration...

It's disappointing that they did an amazing job revamping the studio yet inside the house is still structurally the same as it has been for the last 9 years... I'm hoping that the set change was more of an after-thought inspired by BB Canada and a new house is in the works... In reality it probably won't happen but one can hope... That said a switch to HD is inevitable and it would make sense for a new house to accompany the switch...

The HoH competition was predictable... Out of the last few seasons that I've watched outside of last year the first HoH has involved HG's hanging from something... I actually miss the old majority rules HoH based on first impressions...

It should be interesting to see how the MVP really impacts the game... I'm really hoping the veto is changed so that it removes one of the nominees completely without a replacement... TBH I think that is the only way the MVP will actually be able to make an impact... Otherwise I have a feeling it will play out like any new "power" that is introduced with HM's being unwilling to upset the established power structure... PoV was used once when it was introduced in BB3... Marcelles not using the Golden PoV in BB3 still remains one of the biggest mistakes in BBUS history... The Coup d'etat went unused in BBAS...

I do like however the the MVP remains anonymous and the third nominee is not revealed until just before the PoV... I just hope the scheduling of the PoV has been changed so that the competition happens later in the week... I think having a few days gap between nominations and the Veto Competition/MVP Nomination will mean the MVP nomination will have a bigger impact and will become less predictable... It also closes the gap between the PoVC and the vote...

Just watched the BB15 premier... So far I'm really not in to a single HM but here are a few of my thoughts about the premier...

I thought it was interesting that Julie started the premier from within the house... She didn't give a full house tour but it was nice to see the season start in a new way without the typical BB announcer/narration...

It's disappointing that they did an amazing job revamping the studio yet inside the house is still structurally the same as it has been for the last 9 years... I'm hoping that the set change was more of an after-thought inspired by BB Canada and a new house is in the works... In reality it probably won't happen but one can hope... That said a switch to HD is inevitable and it would make sense for a new house to accompany the switch...

The HoH competition was predictable... Out of the last few seasons that I've watched outside of last year the first HoH has involved HG's hanging from something... I actually miss the old majority rules HoH based on first impressions...

It should be interesting to see how the MVP really impacts the game... I'm really hoping the veto is changed so that it removes one of the nominees completely without a replacement... TBH I think that is the only way the MVP will actually be able to make an impact... Otherwise I have a feeling it will play out like any new "power" that is introduced with HM's being unwilling to upset the established power structure... PoV was used once when it was introduced in BB3... Marcelles not using the Golden PoV in BB3 still remains one of the biggest mistakes in BBUS history... The Coup d'etat went unused in BBAS...

I do like however the the MVP remains anonymous and the third nominee is not revealed until just before the PoV... I just hope the scheduling of the PoV has been changed so that the competition happens later in the week... I think having a few days gap between nominations and the Veto Competition/MVP Nomination will mean the MVP nomination will have a bigger impact and will become less predictable... It also closes the gap between the PoVC and the vote...

Hey Kingston, do you happen to have a good link to the episodes on Youtube? Is there a committed uploader for the US series?

Was absolutely floored by them changing the script for the intro - think I pretty much knew the one used for the last 73 seasons off by heart. The new set is gorgeous too - would look great in HD, but 10 years on from moving house they've still not made the switch when really it could have been made when they moved to the new house in BB6.

The rest of the show is pretty much as you expect, but seems to be a decent enough group of HMs and so nice to have all newbies for a change. I thought Rachel's sister might actually be far less annoying and more likeable but the mask was truly slipping as the episode went on. I suspect she'll be an obvious target for the MVP.

Was absolutely floored by them changing the script for the intro - think I pretty much knew the one used for the last 73 seasons off by heart. The new set is gorgeous too - would look great in HD, but 10 years on from moving house they've still not made the switch when really it could have been made when they moved to the new house in BB6.

The rest of the show is pretty much as you expect, but seems to be a decent enough group of HMs and so nice to have all newbies for a change. I thought Rachel's sister might actually be far less annoying and more likeable but the mask was truly slipping as the episode went on. I suspect she'll be an obvious target for the MVP.

I also think it's great that they are taking some cues from BBCA, which is something I always hoped would happen should Canada proper produce it's own version... Outside of BB8 or a one off twist viewer input in to the game was virtually unheard of... Regardless of how effective MVP is it is refreshing to see Grodner & Co attempting to go outside the tiny box they created for themselves... I have no idea why Endemol didn't push for more viewer participation within the game when the format was revamped... I hope the MVP/3 nominee twist runs through to the end-game and not just the first 4 to 5 weeks as many fans have suspected...

I'm still not that excited by any of the HG's so far... For most of the premier I sat there cringing... They are just a rehash of the same types of characters we've seen before and the men will once again dominate the game... TBH the female HG's seem too catty to get along nor do I think they will be able to win over the public... And will fall victim to the same curse of the female power player, being dumped at the last minute by their male allies...

Nick is an obvious Dan/Peter/Alec clone and obviously someone the producers are pushing to win... The rest seem like your typical brigade douche bags... And again we are stuck with the typical BB gay...

I love the new set, the house is just ok but those house guests seem to be more obnoxious than usual. I know it's only the first day but I feel I've seen these characters before. Hopefully that changes when the games begin.

Did I see the bb Canada talking moose?

Did I see the bb Canada talking moose?

TBH I wouldn't be surprised... It was mentioned on the BBQ that there is a moose head in one of the bedrooms... Right now no one seems to think it will be used but as I pointed out above this wouldn't be the first thing that BBCA has influenced this season... MVP seems like BBUS trying to implement BBCA's PowerShift in a way that is better executed and thought out... And the studio is obviously heavily influenced by BB Canada's designs... Grodner doesn't seem to really care what other BB's do because she sees them as being a completely different show to her own... So now that BBCA has had the balls to show her the way and Marsha didn't completely bomb I think she's more receptive to the idea...

I also think it's great that they are taking some cues from BBCA, which is something I always hoped would happen should Canada proper produce it's own version... Outside of BB8 or a one off twist viewer input in to the game was virtually unheard of... Regardless of how effective MVP is it is refreshing to see Grodner & Co attempting to go outside the tiny box they created for themselves... I have no idea why Endemol didn't push for more viewer participation within the game when the format was revamped... I hope the MVP/3 nominee twist runs through to the end-game and not just the first 4 to 5 weeks as many fans have suspected...
Yes, usually most twists are dropped once we get to the jury stage but in theory this could go a little longer, though probably only to the Top 6 or so. I also hope that with their being three nominees that when they do a double eviction they do it from the three nominees - not a fast forward episode with no MVP (unless they did a quick Twitter vote which IIRC they did for something either last season or the year before).

Yes, usually most twists are dropped once we get to the jury stage but in theory this could go a little longer, though probably only to the Top 6 or so. I also hope that with their being three nominees that when they do a double eviction they do it from the three nominees - not a fast forward episode with no MVP (unless they did a quick Twitter vote which IIRC they did for something either last season or the year before).

One can only hope the MVP lasts as long as it possibly can... In fact I'd love to see it become a part of the format just like the PoV... I've been saying for years that the end game needs something that will shake up strategy...

I still have another 30 minutes or so until the eviction airs here in Seattle and I've avoided spoilers. So I'm going into tonight hoping for a few things:
- David gets evicted.
- Elissa, Hellen, or Judd when HOH

And here's the big one:
- THEY ACTUALLY ADDRESS ALL THE CONTROVERSY! BBUSA really needs to take a page from the BBUK book when it comes to racist/bigoted things houseguests say. Call them into the diary room, repeat what they said, tell them it's unacceptable and give them (at least) a warning! By just issuing a statement saying CBS doesn't condone the behavior and not actually doing anything about it, Big Brother is basically saying we don't like it, but we'll allow it. This is BIG BROTHER, not HOUSEGUEST HOUSE! Show them who is in charge!

I'm not going to be surprised at all if it isn't mentioned at all on the show, but I'll be extremely disappointed and will add another item to the list of things that is really getting on my nerves about BBUSA.

And here's the big one:
- THEY ACTUALLY ADDRESS ALL THE CONTROVERSY! BBUSA really needs to take a page from the BBUK book when it comes to racist/bigoted things houseguests say. Call them into the diary room, repeat what they said, tell them it's unacceptable and give them (at least) a warning! By just issuing a statement saying CBS doesn't condone the behavior and not actually doing anything about it, Big Brother is basically saying we don't like it, but we'll allow it. This is BIG BROTHER, not HOUSEGUEST HOUSE! Show them who is in charge!

We did it first! Big Brother 2005. Nelson spent about 45 minutes in the diary room hoping Big Brother didn't make him repeat it.

Talking about the production choices first and am liking the three nominee twist. BBUSA's biggest problem has always been you know by Monday exactly who is being evicted most weeks, and I think the three nominees makes things slightly less predictable. Also they really seem to be making an effort to change things up for Julie - even a tweak to her eviction announcement, plus new chairs after 13 years! They also made some nice changes to the background music during the live segments - though as they haven't made any changes at all to the record segments they did jar a bit.

Now on to the controversy - it should have been dealt with and IMO at the very least those concerned should have got an absolute final warning. CBS doesn't want to condone it by broadcasting it and though I understand that it's clear they're doing more to condone it by brushing it under the carpet, and the best way to include it in the broadcast is to show the perpetraitors being held to account. Personally I'd like to see Aaryn and Gina Marie kicked out. I'm not a fan of such behaviour leading to ejections in BBUK as I do believe it's more beneficial to see housemates and the public hold them too account, but I think with BBUSA being game orientated it's more important for producers to make a stand as the HGs themselves only really judge each other as competitors rather than as people (unless they're racist bigots like Aaryn and Gina Marie).

I try hard to like BBUS... and I generally hate them. Thank the baby cheeses that they really only have 2 shows I can watch and skip through....

I do hate the "editing as if nothing has been said" thing but they have been doing it for years...

Read Reality Blurred... He always has fab views...

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/big_brother_15/2013_Jul_01_bb15-racism-homophobia-misogyny

And this is a great article too...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/07/02/197995283/big-brother-isnt-just-a-terrible-show-its-a-wasted-opportunity

I try hard to like BBUS... and I generally hate them. Thank the baby cheeses that they really only have 2 shows I can watch and skip through....

I do hate the "editing as if nothing has been said" thing but they have been doing it for years...

Read Reality Blurred... He always has fab views...

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/big_brother_15/2013_Jul_01_bb15-racism-homophobia-misogyny

And this is a great article too...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/07/02/197995283/big-brother-isnt-just-a-terrible-show-its-a-wasted-opportunity

WOW. I'd read a bit about Aaryn and Gina Marie, but now I'm disappointed in half the house - including BB for not showing leadership.

I was just going to come here and post that I am glad Elissa stayed to see how far she can go. But I'm too floored.

Aaryn is so horrid even the BBUSA audience booed her - and they never boo anyone ever ever ever!

And potential spoiler but as it'll never air in the show it probably isn't but a real shame that BBUSA isn't following BBCanada's lead in enforcing the rules of the HoH comp.

I'm new to BBusa, but i'm loving the bitch-fights, unedited live streams and generally how very different it is to BBau
. Personally I'd like to see Aaryn and Gina Marie kicked out.

aww, these Houseguests don't know they've been fired from there respective careers.
It is funny watching them talk about how well they do there job, there aspirations and there future with these agencies.

btw, what is mvp ?

Most Valuable Player - a new twist this year in which every week the viewers vote for the person supposedly playing the best game (or as it turns out, the sister of a former winner!) and they get the power to secretly choose the third nominee. It's a good twist but the HGs have already worked out Elissa will probably win it every week she is still there.

Pretty annoyed that the comments weren't even addressed on Wednesday. Yeah, Julie said some things that could kinda-sorta be taken as a reference, but I wanted more. Even more annoyed with the outcome of HoH. But I am happy that they are at least trying to give the idiots in that house a really bad edit - though that's probably not too hard to do.

This cast is just proving to be pretty unlikeable at such an early date. I can honestly say I really only like a few people so far. It's still early and I still have hopes of getting all of the racists/bigots out early. So we'll see.

I just really, really, really hope the Moving Company doesn't win this. I hate when large alliances start first week and end up winning. I miss the days of the secret Danielle/Jason alliance. Or the Sovereign 6!

I've thought Alison Grodner should go as EP for a while due to her simply running out of ideas but she's just shown herself up to be a weak person by not dealing with this - seemingly putting the process of her show above basic humanity. And not dealing with the cheating in the HoH comp is really poor - I'll give Aaryn and Jeremy the benefit of the doubt as I don't think it was intentional, but the rules were clear and they broke them so they should be disqualified. I guess the problem might be if every team at some point broke the rules - it certainly seemed a mess to start with.

I'm shocked! It was finally addressed on the show tonight! I think it became too big of news for them to ignore anymore. I'm happy they finally addressed it but they need to show a few more people making comments, like Spencer and Jeremy.

It still doesn't change the fact that a good number of people in that house are just so unlikable this year! I'm really hoping for a David-like eviction this week but I'm not holding my breath.

Back