Skip to main content

BB Canada "to go on hiatus" [Hiatus Over - back in 2018]

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
Word on the street is that BBCAN will not air in 2018... I can't say I'm surprised at all... Canadian reality programs typically have a very short shelf life and there were rumours of budget cuts for the last series...

Gutted but sadly not surprised. As you say there were rumours of cuts,though other than axing the Side Show that didn't really show on screen, while using veterans was a bit of a warning sign too.

Confirmed now by Arisa:

Interesting that they gone the "on hiatus" route rather than simply cancelling it outright... I guess there is hope after Corus recently revived Top Chef Canada which rested in 2014...

It's the route they seem to take when they want to drop the show but don't want anyone else to have it. Suspect there is a clause preventing any other broadcaster picking it up within at least a year.

It doesn't really feel like the end though - it's just too good for it to be dropped completely.

it's just too good for it to be dropped completely.

I'm not sure I'd go that far... While I commend BB Canada for daring to break out of the accepted norms of the American format I think creatively they were their own undoing... The last series was really a paint by numbers BB Canada series and by comparison to the series previous BB5 felt lackluster on so many levels... I also believe they shot themselves in the foot trying too many poorly executed and ideas over the course of the series...

I'm surprised there were budget cuts considering the number of adverts they put in it.

It's a shame. it was a notch above the american version with some interesting housemates coming out of it rather than the usual twinks and barbies.

Global TV teasing last night that #YouCanandYouWill

Seems the death of BB Canada may have been greatly exaggerated. I'm thinking they're just moving it from spring to fall, meaning it won't be in the 2017-18 TV season but will still air in 2018, just after BBUSA rather than before.

Global TV teasing last night that #YouCanandYouWill

Seems the death of BB Canada may have been greatly exaggerated. I'm thinking they're just moving it from spring to fall, meaning it won't be in the 2017-18 TV season but will still air in 2018, just after BBUSA rather than before.

This seems like an afterthought due to the public outcry... They were pretty clear when the official announcement came down that the show would not air at all in 2018... In terms of when I think you're correct that this series will air in the fall... It's also a great strategy marketing wise as they can advertise BB CAN during the tail end of BBUS...

You know, I wish POP would pick BBCAN up in the States. I didn't get a chance to finish this season because it kept getting pulled from YouTube.

Of the three upcoming English language series this is definately the one I'm looking forward too.

Reactions: Tee
I haven’t watched Canadian BB, I’ll give it a go. I just couldn’t get into USA BB, try as I might. I find the closest to our BB format is the UK format.

I haven’t watched Canadian BB, I’ll give it a go. I just couldn’t get into USA BB, try as I might. I find the closest to our BB format is the UK format.

If it's the "game" driven aspect of BBUS that made you give it up then I suspect BBCAN will likely do the same... BBCAN does seem to rate higher within the international BB community... It's worth a shot though... My expectations are fairly low considering how boring I found the last series... I'm really only excited to see what the new house looks like...

Definately worth a shot - it has a bit more of the fun that classic BBUK and BBAUS had alongside the game aspect. It's also on the whole brilliantly cast.

Agree interesting to see what the new house looks like but I wouldn't be surprised if they basically rebuild the old one on the new stage - it is essentially a set after all. Would be nice if they could get a big enough space so the studio and house could actually be connected, but not crucial.

Definately worth a shot - it has a bit more of the fun that classic BBUK and BBAUS had alongside the game aspect. It's also on the whole brilliantly cast.

Agree interesting to see what the new house looks like but I wouldn't be surprised if they basically rebuild the old one on the new stage - it is essentially a set after all. Would be nice if they could get a big enough space so the studio and house could actually be connected, but not crucial.

Not all studio spaces are exactly the same... From the looks of things there could be a height restriction in this new space so building "up" like they had in the previous studio could be an issue... Like I did with the last move I'm expecting very little but wouldn't be surprised if there some fairly significant differences...

One thing that's on my wish list is that they eliminate unnecessary waste... The "war room" was built in to the house to facilitate a twist... However moving forward it never really served an absolutely essential function... They did a decent enough job finding uses for it but it basically sat as unused space...

Where have they moved too?

Completely agree regarding the War Room. They got away with repurposing it as The Vault for series 3 but since then it's just been used because it's there rather than served a purpose. The nominations can be locked in either in the diary room, HoH room or back yard.

I'd also get rid of the pool actually - seems to be rarely used in comparison to the hot tub. Would be nice to if the hot tub area linked directly to the house - for practical reasons if nothing else to enable outdoor access whilst the back yard is on lock down for competitions.

Last edited:
Back