Skip to main content

Australian Survivor Ratings

The ratings could have been a lot worse, it did v well in the demos, and apparently it increased their audience in the timeslot. Hooray!

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/11/more-on-those-returning-ten-shows.html

In a very different jungle, in a different part of the world, Jonathan LaPaglia and another group of castaways determined to outwit, outlast and outplay each other will take part in the second season of Australian Survivor.

The first season of Network Ten’s spectacular version of the world’s biggest reality television brand was embraced by critics and viewers alike, resonated strongly with people online and across social media, and increased TEN’s audience in its timeslot by 26%.

I rated very well for ten. 786,000 with timeshifted viewers I think it was. Very well done compared to the biggest loser last year which rated at 650,000 Timeshifted

Pretty bad ratings last night. It only got 639k with the Block getting 1.1m and the princess Diana documentary getting 1.3m.That was 147k down on last year.

It also didnt do good in the demos. It didnt make the top 5 in 25-54s, barely made the top 5 in 18-49 and was only successful in the 16-39 demo where it came 2nd.

No one is watching Ten on Fridays and Saturdays so they have to build from scratch on Sunday. Maybe its better if Survivor was on Monday and Tuesday instead.

Ten would be wanting those ratings to improve really quick or they are going to be in a whole world of hurt for the next 3 months.

The fact that it doesn't start until 7.30pm doesn't help... I'm sure there are lots of "I'll just watch the first 1/2 hour of The Block (or whatever is on 7)" only to get sucked in and keep watching.
Might get better ratings if it started at 7pm.

The fact that it doesn't start until 7.30pm doesn't help... I'm sure there are lots of "I'll just watch the first 1/2 hour of The Block (or whatever is on 7)" only to get sucked in and keep watching.

Exactly, it's stupidity. I had to argue the case for watching Survivor first (which I wanted to as it's the better show), because "The Block starts first, record Survivor for later".

They tried that with Masterchef and it rated less than at 7:30. Also the Diana documentary took a lot of older viewers away from Survivor which would have had an impact on the ratings.

We will see how it does tonight when Seven only has a Billy Connolly tribute program against it. It would want to improve by at least 50-100k.

A small increase last night to 656k while The Block doubled it with almost 1.3m. Still pretty poor ratings. Survivor is doing well with the younger crowd but older viewers have abandoned it.

Would you like me to overlay this year's ratings on the graph from last year?

OK so last night, The Block dropped to 1,044,000 and Survivor dropped to 600,000.

In its entire run last year Survivor went below 600k on only three occasions, so is a bit sub-optimal for Ten that it's touching that mark on episode three.

Look I drew a picture:

GzwijYF.gif

Sunday: Survivor 606,000; The Block 1,212,000
Monday: Survivor 637,000; The Block 1,093,000

LRR7KCl.jpg

Sunday:

The Block: 1,285,000
Survivor: 622,000

The Block is going from strength to strength. Obviously a Sunday reveal always peaks for them, but overall it's rating well over the figures for the season that ran against Survivor last year. Survivor, meanwhile, is pretty level at just over 600k.

Average audiences:

The Block 2016: 1,017,346; 2017: 1,168,333
Survivor 2016: 691,769; 2017: 626,667

So currently the Block is up on average 150k per ep on last year, while Survivor is down about 65k.

Not sure why The Block is up so much. Maybe people like the houses instead of apartments? *shrug*

The Block is still so madly popular, up nearly 300k on last year. I don't get it. Meanwhile, Survivor plods along averaging about 625,000 per ep so far.

Day | Survivor | The Block
Sun | 625,000 | 1,290,000
Mon | 611,000 | 1,140,000

94QDK9g.jpg

Sunday ratings:

Survivor: 607,000
The Block: 1,184,000

...meanwhile, both got thumped by Little Big Shots on Seven at 1,670,000

We're one third of the way through Survivor. At this point last year the previously-falling ratings levelled off for the second trimester, then rose in the third. Will be interesting to see if it follows the same pattern this year. I'll post the graph tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about it anymore, it just proves that the majority of the public are looking for the dumbest possible viewing at night, to wind down and not have to think. For less discerning viewers, precocious kids making fools of themselves and people renovating beats adults strategising.

I wouldn't worry about it anymore, it just proves that the majority of the public are looking for the dumbest possible viewing at night, to wind down and not have to think. For less discerning viewers, precocious kids making fools of themselves and people renovating beats adults strategising.
Sad isn't it, but then remember how popular Cats can make you laugh out loud was for Seven. Banality rules. Actually, maybe Seven will pick that up as a new show: Banality Rules. Perfect.

It turns out some of the previous ratings figures for The Block have been revised down for some reason. In any case I just follow the ratings because I really wanted Survivor to be a hit for Ten. It isn't, but I hope they stick with it all the same because they really have done a great job with the whole production.

Back