Skip to main content

Australian Survivor: Articles

Good idea. Or keep it to the US Survivor thread once it starts - probably a lot here will watch by other means and keep up with you.
Yeah I will just wait. I need to see if there is interest anyway since we are getting hours of Australian Survivor weekly.

Good idea. Or keep it to the US Survivor thread once it starts - probably a lot here will watch by other means and keep up with you.
Yeah, I think if we keep it in its own thread it should be okay. I know not to check the new episode or sweepstakes thread until I've seen the episode.

Matt Tarrant ‏@MattTarrant Sep 18
Couple of pests this morning doing the City to Bay.
1f46f.png
1f46f.png
1f46f.png
#SurvivorAU @nickiadanza @JLa_Paglia

CsnNhdFVIAAS6D3.jpg

Matt is engaged to Kiera Blackwood.....photo of the ring and announcement in May on his twitter....

Last edited:
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/09/merge-coming-on-australian-survivor-at-last.html

Merge coming on Australian Survivor (at last).

A merge of two Australian Survivor tribes will finally take place next Sunday night after one tribe has been decimated in the TEN series.

Last night strategic player Phoebe saw her torch snuffed out, leaving Vavau tribe with just three remaining contestants.

Since three tribes became two, Vavau has lost every single challenge, creating a biased gameplay for participants and viewers. It’s happened occasionally on the US series but finally a merge will shake things up.

Saanapu and Vavau will come together to create one new tribe, Fia Fia, 7:30pm Sunday on TEN.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/09...-criticised-for-being-too-much-like-jeff.html

LA-based Jonathan LaPaglia has been watching the reaction to Australian Survivor through social media which has proven to be a fascinating mix of compliments and opinions.
Fans weigh in on everything from Reality twists, Tribal Councils, the phrases he uses and his own peak fitness.
“The social media response for the first episode was hilarious, because it all became about my arms for some reason!” he laughs. “There was so much chatter about it. I thought ‘Oh my God I can’t believe this, the show has become about my veins!’
“But I don’t have any special secret sauce. I go the gym 3 times a week for 45 minutes. I’m very old school, with weights and running.”
During filming in Samoa, LaPaglia found it difficult to keep up his personal regime, with his gym about 45 minutes away from his hotel.
Even a simple jog turned into a drama, with one local warning him against running through the streets.
“He said ‘You should carry a stick with you, there are wild, rabid dogs everywhere,'” he continues.
“But fortunately where I was staying there were a couple of tiny beaches connected, so I was the only idiot running up and down about a dozen times. I got a lot of strange looks from people.”
Despite the fan chatter about his physique, LaPaglia admits to being out-gunned by some of Survivor’s own lean machines, such as Lee and Sam.
“When I look at the footage I think ‘Damn!’ It was Osher Gunsberg who described Lee as a ‘ball of rope!’”
Fans have also been vocal about the hosting lingo LaPaglia uses. ‘Immunity is back in play,’ and ‘I’ll count the votes,’ differ from Jeff Probst’s ‘Immunity is back up for grabs,’ and ‘I’ll go tally the votes.’ Who knew such a subtle difference would trigger a reaction?
“A lot of them are really upset I don’t say ‘tally.'”
But Survivor is a brand with fervent fan ownership.
“The producers and I had long discussions about the hosting role and we agreed we didn’t want a carbon copy to the US. So we looked at ways to change things here and there. We actually wanted to change a lot more but we realised there’s a real economy to the way Jeff hosts the show. So if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” he suggests.
“I thought people would say ‘He’s just copying Jeff!’ But it’s the opposite. People want me to be identical to Jeff. On social media people are telling me ‘Nah mate, you got it all wrong! It’s tally mate! Tally the votes!’
“A lot of them are really upset I don’t say ‘tally.’ But tally and count mean the same thing!
“It’s not easy to make it your own in a format that’s been hosted by the same guy for 16 years. I thought I was going to be criticised for being too much like Jeff, but it’s the opposite!”
But it’s not all bad. Fans praised a move never attempted in the US, that saw 4 contestants change tribes in a shocking Tribal Council twist.
“I thought ‘Oh my God’ they will be turning in their graves when they see the tribe swap. I thought they would hate it, but they loved it! It’s so hard to predict what people will respond to. I was convinced they would hate it because it hadn’t been done on the American one!”

Adelaide-born LaPaglia has been living in the US since pursuing acting in 1994. Producers send him video links to view episodes shortly before their TEN broadcast, though the viewing window has become increasingly narrow since the show lifted to three episodes a week.
“That was a last minute decision so it’s put extra pressure on post production,” he explains.
“They’re really under the gun. It was a very short post-production period, so they are up against it. They are barely getting it together before airtime.”
The word on the Endemol Shine series has been spreading. Former US Survivor contestants Steve Fishbach and Rob Cesternino have been podcasting on the show.
“I was fascinated that they had gotten hold of it. But Survivor fans are die-hard and they will find it. I’ve heard through my social media feed from people in Brazil, the UK, Canada. I’m not sure how they’re seeing it, but it’s being watched,” says LaPaglia.
“It’s an individual game now”
This Sunday a long-awaited merge takes place between Saanapu and the last-remaining Vavau members. If the show is due any real criticisms it is the hours required of viewers and the imbalance between teams as a result of a schoolyard-pick.
“It resulted in an imbalance in the tribes,” LaPaglia concedes. “It was a confluence of events and there were unexpected circumstances like Rohan going home. No-one expected that.
“So they lost some muscle when they really couldn’t afford to, and it became a domino effect after that. But the game is unpredictable and you never know how it will play out.
“The US had a season where one team was decimated down to 1 player.”
The show takes another turn on Sunday and LaPaglia is bracing for more fan enthusiasm.
“It’s an individual game now. Prior to this point they are relying on each other to win challenges and stay out of Tribal Council. But now it’s all up to you. You live and die by the sword from now on. Everyone, apart from the person who wins individual Immunity, becomes vulnerable,” he says.
“So this is the point in the game where people start to play hard and they turn on each other.
“People start unravelling –so there is some pretty entertaining TV coming up.”
Australian Survivor airs 7:30pm Sunday, Monday and Tuesday on TEN.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/09...noticed-nines-us-survivor-for-32-seasons.html

Oh dear.
An article at the Daily Telegraph has given Nine a serve for apparently jumping on theSurvivorbandwagon and having the nerve to screen the new US season with Jeff Probst.
“We at Confidential were slightly bemused yesterday to receive a press release toutingSurvivor— from Channel Nine,” it notes.
“While Ten has invested in a local version of the longstanding format, Nine has opted to screen the 33rd season of the adventure-reality series made in the USA.”
Huh?
“This isn’t the first time that the Nine network has imported an American format to compete with Ten’s local version,” it suggests, claiming Nine screened the USBachelorafter TEN launched its local version.
I have no idea what planet they are on, but let’s get a few things straight.
USSurvivordebuted on Nine back in 2000 with the inaugural winner Richard Hatch. Nude guy. Look him up. Since then we’ve had about 32 seasons. Nine actually even attempted its own local version back in 2002. It was pretty lousy. Seven even screened a Celebrity version in 2006 won by Guy Leech (spoiler alert in case you hadn’t heard?).
USSurvivor been screened on Nine and GO! for years, usually twice a year. The suggestion that Nine is reacting to the local series is as batshit crazy as Johnny Fairplay saying his grandmother had died. Or as conspiratorial as Russell Hantz on a good day.
While we’re at it,The Bachelorfirst screened on Nine in 2002. Good on TEN for making successful local versions of both but let’s not rewrite history.
Survivor S33 returned in the US today and is back on Nine next Thursday night followingThe Footy Show. That’s certainly not as prompt as the same day screenings we’ve had for years on GO! and diehard fans are none too pleased. It does suggest Nine is seeking to benefit from the extra noise in the marketplace. But to suggest it’s raining on TEN’s parade is a helluva stretch.
Oh and next Thursday is still September -meaning it isn’t kicking off next month as suggested, either.
Tribe has spoken.

Media here is really stupid on entertainment, often report utter crap from last year as breaking news.

Anyway, came here to mention Aussie S, host Jonathon will be on the Living Room tonight.

I would think survivor lovers would be in heaven and happy to watch both versions, 9 may benefit from having the local version increasing interest all around, and vice versa.

This is old, so apologies if already posted:

DIEHARD fans say it’s the best show you’re not watching in Australian television.
Despite the accolades from fans and critics alike, Australian Survivo rhasn’t been setting the TV ratings world on fire, with some wondering if Channel Ten’s revival of the Aussie format can survive for a second season.
But with the network’s head of Entertainment and Factual Programs Stephen Tate poised to chat with the creators of the franchise today to discuss the show being aired more widely overseas, Ten seems content that the show is hitting all the marks it needs to, and then some.
“New Zealand has already taken it — they pretty much go day/date with this series, and Samoa has taken it and they are excited to see their backyard,” Tate said.
“There is interest from several other international markets and we are due to talk with Castaway (Parson’s Castaway Television productions, which hold the rights to the franchises worldwide) to discuss those opportunities further”.
It’s a global vote of confidence in the product, which Ten insists is “tracking exactly as hoped” in the younger 25 to 54-year-old demographic the network chases.
With average five-city viewer numbers of 741,000 the show may not be winning timeslots outright, but Tate said it is scoring where it matters.
“People are watching, they are just watching on multiple platforms,” he said.
Survivor dropped to a season low of 686,000 viewers in five cities on Sunday, but nobody at the network is pressing the panic button.
“Absolutely from our point of view it is working,” says Tate, pointing to catch-up viewing, Twitter trends and digital viewing figures which the network treasures.
“It’s actually tracking well ahead of the first season of The Bachelor and also the first season of I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here Australia.
“:And look what a powerhouse The Bachelor is now. The thing is that at Ten we know that we need to stick with brands and support them.”
6de0e037b05007c56646990fe7a03fbc

The tribe (or at least, the under-55s demographic) has spoken. Picture: Supplied by Channel TenSource:Channel 10
The average capital city audience as the show airs may be 741,000, but that grows to and average of 768,000 when online catch-ups are included, he said.
And in that crucial 25 to 54 age group, the first nine episodes of Survivor lifted Ten’s share of the timeslot by 38% compared to the same nights last year.
And 81 per cent of the show’s viewers are under 55 years old, compared to 71% of reality show rival Zumbo’s Just Desserts and 71% for The Block, according to Ten figures.
“And Survivor is number two in its timeslot across the capital cities in 25 to 54s.”
Reality series in general tend to get about five per cent additional viewers on catch-up viewing, but Tate said Survivor has been getting 14 and 15 per cent “which is extraordinary”.
Digital views via Tenplay have allow exceeded 3.3 million — again indicative of the younger demographic the network chases.
“Where we are most competitive is exactly where we want to be,” Tate said.
While its ratings have been softer than for Seven and Nine’s offerings, Australian Survivor has generated significant buzz on social media. On debut it was the number one entertainment program on Twitter during its broadcast, with #SurvivorAU trending at number three on Twitter worldwide and number one in Australia.
Tate said kudos like that, and social media presence were among the things networks look for when they commission — it boosts both advertising prospects and word-of-moth growth for the shows.
“This is why shows like Bachelor and Celebrity and, we will see, Survivor, grow. Social media is at the forefront of that,” he said.
While Ten won’t publicly commit to a second season — that news will likely to be saved for the network’s unveiling of its 2017 programming in early November.
The ratings may be soft, but Survivor’s fans have spoken.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n/news-story/8673c0884d92386c8c6ca6504e9b226d

Back