Skip to main content

2017 Today I ...

Really good actually @reepbot

Being out west I always enjoy the opportunity to catch up with colleagues and talk "shop" but the lecturers were great too. We were learning about the Psalms and one lecturer was helping us to look beyond the words (into emotions etc) and the other was a Rabbi who helped us see their original context. Good stuff.

Oh that sounds very interesting @qtkt, I always found the actual study of religion, bible, martyrs and history fascinating.
I got a bit obsessed with martyrs in primary school.
We were brought with the hell & brimstone Irish version of being Catholic.
When my Mum died, my parents had moved to a parish of the Franciscans, and oh boy is Italian Catholicism different.
The priests are so different, it is much gentler, kinder and forgiving - more enlightened. Some of the priests were even calling themselves Catholic Buddhists (they have a lot of Vietnamese in the parish).
Parish priest is a music professor at Melb Uni part time, a widower, he became a priest when his wife died.

Today, i am waiting on the plumber who was supposed to come yesterday, hmmm.

Really good actually @reepbot

Being out west I always enjoy the opportunity to catch up with colleagues and talk "shop" but the lecturers were great too. We were learning about the Psalms and one lecturer was helping us to look beyond the words (into emotions etc) and the other was a Rabbi who helped us see their original context. Good stuff.

That does sound good.

I like the part about looking beyond the words. Like into emotions and stuff.

It was really interesting. I hope I can bring some of it into my parish soon.

I know some Anglican Franciscan friars and they're great.

Hope your plumber turned up @kxk

Reactions: kxk
Taps fixed, yeah.
Anglican Franciscans, ooo that sounds interesting. I know a few Catholics who have turned to the Anglican church because of Catholic issues with females.

. I know a few Catholics who have turned to the Anglican church because of Catholic issues with females.

Two of my current parishioners are with us because their own (catholic) church wouldn't marry them because the fellow was divorced. I've done a few weddings for this reason.

Then on the other hand the RCs have scored some of our lot - especially our priests (even married ones) because we Anglicans have allowed remarriage, female priests, and gay priests.

I would be interested to hear what caused the change???

You have mentioned Sr Mel before. I'm honoured you would see similarities. I'm not nearly as good as you might think.
Hi Kay. Oh you are. That I am sure.

When I had no one to believe in me and Sr Mel actually did, initially I latched on to God and the Catholic Church to be just a little bit like her. But it got to the point it was becoming unhealthy. I felt if I didn't go to church every day and have holy water touch me, my life would go back to what it was, if I didn't recite the Lord's Prayer through out my day, my life would go back to what it was. I felt if I took my cross off, my life would go back to what it was. I was in a constant state of prayer. This calmed down after a couple of years, and my life started changing, positively, I thanked God for this. I took a vow of celibacy, got a job, had a JET adviser at Social Security help me with study choices, and then my life really started changing. I saved money, bought an old Datsun 200B, moved to a better area of Maroochydore, by this time 5 years had passed, I thanked God for this. Then my life really took its greatest blow. My father died, but by then I was stronger, I didn't run straight back to drugs, I mourned him and continued living and growing. I was still devout in my belief, but I had dialled back on the obsessiveness and I thanked God for this.

I think by this time another 5 years had past, I was now with my partner and mentally stronger than I had ever been. I started thinking about life, and I felt disillusioned at the thought that "God" would save the likes of me while the innocent suffered, then science sort of kicked in.

I think religion, when used for good, can be life changing, as it was for me. The Catholic Church will always be a special place for me, and I think people like you and Sr Mel are perfect examples of that good. I truly believe without Mel, I could never have turned my mess of a life around.

Thanks for sharing that story @Trala

It does sound like you got caught up in the ritual. That's easy to do. The priest who prepared me for confirmation had a do a litany of prayers before bed. It got that I couldn't sleep until I'd done this word for word (quite false) recital and it took a leader of a kids group in another church to teach me that prayer was just talking to AND listening to God. There's a place for the liturgy (formal church prayers) and a time to just hang out and my bedtime prayers now are a mix of both.

I also struggle with the idea God might help one person find a car park ( for example) yet appear to ignore the plea of a parent watching their child die.

I have yet to have a problem reconciling anything that science has 'proven' with my understanding of God. To me they marry quite well.

Have you read anything by Paul Davies @qtkt?
An esteemed physicists, ranking not far behind Hawkins, he was once an atheist, and now has a philosophy of god and ultimate consciousness.
He has written several books about this, The Mind of God being one.
He had a TV series where he and Philip Adams discussed this and other big ideas.
A prominent scientist with a belief in a higher power - he is far more accessible than Hawkins, and quite fascinating?

My sister was a scientist, I asked her if she believed in an after life, and she laughed and said no I am a scientist.
We had this discussion. I miss her so much. I think she changed her mind, and I told her you come to me.....

Anglicans i know tell me we are exactly the same, Catholics & Anglicans, services & beliefs, etc. ???
Except Anglicans are more enlightened it seems, Catholics - privately believe the same about women, gays, everything (except for some weirdos).

About Paul Davies
....An opinion piece published in the New York Times,[8] generated controversy over its exploration of the role of faith in scientific inquiry. Davies argued that the faith scientists have in the immutability of physical laws has origins in Christian theology, and that the claim that science is "free of faith" is "manifestly bogus."[8]The Edge Foundation presented a criticism of Davies' article written by Jerry Coyne, Nathan Myhrvold, Lawrence Krauss, Scott Atran, Sean Carroll, Jeremy Bernstein, PZ Myers, Lee Smolin, John Horgan, Alan Sokal and a response by Davies beginning I was dismayed at how many of my detractors completely misunderstood what I had written. Indeed, their responses bore the hallmarks of a superficial knee-jerk reaction to the sight of the words "science" and "faith" juxtaposed.[9] While atheists Richard Dawkins[10] and Victor J. Stenger[11] have criticised Davies' public stance on science and religion, others including the John Templeton Foundation, have praised his work.!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Davies

Bit more
51JjbKi4feL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Throughout history, humans have dreamed of knowing the reason for the existence of the universe. In The Mind of God, physicist Paul Davies explores whether modern science can provide the key that will unlock this last secret. In his quest for an ultimate explanation, Davies reexamines the great questions that have preoccupied humankind for millennia, and in the process explores, among other topics, the origin and evolution of the cosmos, the nature of life and consciousness, and the claim that our universe is a kind of gigantic computer. Charting the ways in which the theories of such scientists as Newton, Einstein, and more recently Stephen Hawking and Richard Feynman have altered our conception of the physical universe. Davies puts these scientists' discoveries into context with the writings of philosophers such as Plato. Descartes, Hume, and Kant. His startling conclusion is that the universe is "no minor byproduct of mindless, purposeless forces. We are truly meant to be here." By the means of science, we can truly see into the mind of God.

Thanks for sharing that story @Trala

It does sound like you got caught up in the ritual. That's easy to do. The priest who prepared me for confirmation had a do a litany of prayers before bed. It got that I couldn't sleep until I'd done this word for word (quite false) recital and it took a leader of a kids group in another church to teach me that prayer was just talking to AND listening to God. There's a place for the liturgy (formal church prayers) and a time to just hang out and my bedtime prayers now are a mix of both.

I also struggle with the idea God might help one person find a car park ( for example) yet appear to ignore the plea of a parent watching their child die.

I have yet to have a problem reconciling anything that science has 'proven' with my understanding of God. To me they marry quite well.
At the time I loved the ritual of it all and the history that went with it. It really helped give me positive structure and the "adorers" as Sr Mel called them (the older ladies that attend mass daily and clean and arrange flowers in the church) who I got to know during that time was just the soft place to fall I needed. Love really does fix whatever ails you.

I don't like to debate opinions when it comes to religion. I find a mutual respect for another's belief is the best way to go. I am glad they marry well for you. :)

@kxk i have not read him - yet. He's on my widh list. I did see a couple of the TV series episodes. In one he argued that he found humans are wired to seek a greater power.

The Dean of our Brisbane Cathedral had a career in science before being priested and one of the ladies I studied and trained with us a part time priest and part time micro biologist. Neither of them see any conflict.

One of my assignments in philosophy argued something very similar to ( though nowhere near as eloquent as) your final quote from Davies. Indeed, by the means of science, we can truly see into the mind of God.

As far as RC and Anglican go, worship services are extremely similar (or at least traditional liturgy is) but there are some very different doctrines. The emphasis on Mary, for example.

Reactions: kxk
Back