Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

i find this dual citizenship thing a load of bull ...

I'm a NZ born Australian citizen who hasnt renounced my NZ citizenship ... I chose to take Aussie citizenship so that I could vote here and because I was married to an Aussie, settled and living here and would eventually(hopefully) have at least 1 Aussie child ... I never saw a need to renounce myNZ citizenship - I have family there still ...I love NZ ... I dont intend to seek anything from my dual citizenship ... having left there in 1981 (on the very same day as the infamous underarm bowling debacle). I've never paid taxes there ... my first fulltime job was here working for a NZ company - I have no claim on anything from NZ ... except great holidays

anyhoo ... my eldest son has dual citizenship because I went into the consulate office when he was still in nappies and made an application for him to have it ... you never know ... he might have been a decent Rugby player and god forbid he missed the opportunity to play for the All Blacks ( karma bit me - he wasnt all that sporty ... but he IS an All Blacks supporter so all is good ;)

my youngest son wont have a bar of being told he's half Kiwi ... will never support the All Blacks over the Wallabies ... karma bit HIM when the NZ flag was raised every Sunday right outside his window at Duntroon :woot:

Somehow I just never bothered traipsing back into the city with 2 toddlers under foot to visit the NZ consulate to apply for citizenship for him ... so one would make the assumption he doesnt have it

well he does - whether he wants it or not (he soooooo doesnt!!) He'd call it "guilt by association" O_O... the NZ govt call it Citizenship by Descendancy ... i could have saved myself the trouble of applying for eldest son ... he would have had it anyway ... oh well - at least he got a nice certificate to announce it.

I hope the High Court sees sense in these cases and allows politicians who have been voted into their positions by people who believed they would do a good job of representing them in Canberra to continue to do their job. Give them the opportunity to renounce whatever dual citizenship they unwittingly hold before the next election and ffs dont waste good money after bad forcing us into bi-elections and voting in 2nd-best available representation - we're wasting enough money on this ridiculous postal vote already ffs

and fix this crap ... there are people arriving in our countries desperate to be granted citizenship and find safe harbour ... dont waste time giving it away freely willy nilly to those who never even sought it! Make them apply for it if they truly want it.

also Hanson is a disgusting vile ignorant woman
her stunt today was insulting and ill-conceived
thank goodness people stood up and denounced her behaviour
dont know how she ever gets voted in ... but then I say the same about 45

I'm a NZ born Australian citizen who hasnt renounced my NZ citizenship ... I chose to take Aussie citizenship so that I could vote here and because I was married to an Aussie, settled and living here and would eventually(hopefully) have at least 1 Aussie child ... I never saw a need to renounce myNZ citizenship - I have family there still ...I love NZ ... I dont intend to seek anything from my dual citizenship ... having left there in 1981 (on the very same day as the infamous underarm bowling debacle). I've never paid taxes there ... my first fulltime job was here working for a NZ company - I have no claim on anything from NZ ... except great holidays

anyhoo ... my eldest son has dual citizenship because I went into the consulate office when he was still in nappies and made an application for him to have it ... you never know ... he might have been a decent Rugby player and god forbid he missed the opportunity to play for the All Blacks ( karma bit me - he wasnt all that sporty ... but he IS an All Blacks supporter so all is good ;)

my youngest son wont have a bar of being told he's half Kiwi ... will never support the All Blacks over the Wallabies ... karma bit HIM when the NZ flag was raised every Sunday right outside his window at Duntroon :woot:

Somehow I just never bothered traipsing back into the city with 2 toddlers under foot to visit the NZ consulate to apply for citizenship for him ... so one would make the assumption he doesnt have it

well he does - whether he wants it or not (he soooooo doesnt!!) He'd call it "guilt by association" O_O... the NZ govt call it Citizenship by Descendancy ... i could have saved myself the trouble of applying for eldest son ... he would have had it anyway ... oh well - at least he got a nice certificate to announce it.

I hope the High Court sees sense in these cases and allows politicians who have been voted into their positions by people who believed they would do a good job of representing them in Canberra to continue to do their job. Give them the opportunity to renounce whatever dual citizenship they unwittingly hold before the next election and ffs dont waste good money after bad forcing us into bi-elections and voting in 2nd-best available representation - we're wasting enough money on this ridiculous postal vote already ffs

and fix this crap ... there are people arriving in our countries desperate to be granted citizenship and find safe harbour ... dont waste time giving it away freely willy nilly to those who never even sought it! Make them apply for it if they truly want it.
I think they just need to amend the law so that politicians in this boat don't need to go through the hassle of even finding out if they are dual citizens. It is obviously an antiquated policy that does not allow for this. lord knows how many other pollies have unwittingly got away with it before!!

The funny thing is that for kiwis now it is so bloody hard and expensive to become a citizen here most don't. it will cost my hubbie and I 10grand just to get permanent residency and probably the same or more after that to get citizenship. I would happily take your sons free dual citizenship so I can vote here!!

I think they just need to amend the law so that politicians in this boat don't need to go through the hassle of even finding out if they are dual citizens. It is obviously an antiquated policy that does not allow for this. lord knows how many other pollies have unwittingly got away with it before!!

The funny thing is that for kiwis now it is so bloody hard and expensive to become a citizen here most don't. it will cost my hubbie and I 10grand just to get permanent residency and probably the same or more after that to get citizenship. I would happily take your sons free dual citizenship so I can vote here!!

I'd rather the Constitution stay the same and not go to referendum than the Constitution change and we have to vote in a referendum. After all, this is a Constitutional matter. Changes to the Constitution must be done by way of referendum.

I'd rather the Constitution stay the same and not go to referendum than the Constitution change and we have to vote in a referendum. After all, this is a Constitutional matter. Changes to the Constitution must be done by way of referendum.
ahh never thought about that - NZ doesn't have a constitution like Aussie does so didn't cross my mind. And who needs a referendum on this!!

ahh never thought about that - NZ doesn't have a constitution like Aussie does so didn't cross my mind. And who needs a referendum on this!!

It is a really stringent process. Needs to pass a few votes in Parliament before getting to the referendum stage anyway.

I am not really fussed with the disqualification factors. I am more concerned with people sitting in Parliament who are aware of the provision and choose not to follow it.

What a revolting person!
hanson1.jpg

xj4W0KSnPeJ_VO1MMHb8RSBmMBI5Lc_inU4jB9Xxbg8.jpg

Like @Affable said any changes to the rule would have to go to a referendum which very rarely pass.

The issue for now isn't really about whether you agree with the dual citizenship restrictions or not. Because although the average Australian might not have known about this rule, politicians and potential politicians should have. It's been a requirement that you renounce foreign citizenship's if you want to stand for election to the federal parliament since federation and that was over 110 years ago. It's nothing new. It's not come from left of field.

Maybe you've never thought about whether you're a dual citizen of anywhere but then you haven't put your hand up to run for election. I mean it really shouldn't be that hard to make a list of where your parents and grandparents were born and check if you've got any other citizenship's. After all politicians get paid $190,00+ a year to run the country and if they're too lazy or stupid to check whether they're compiling with the constitution then I personally question whether they should be running the country.

It's claiming Nick Xenophon now, too. :(

http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...m/news-story/b73a72b7f2d3a89e50a9249d8cbfde24

That sounds like a pretty unique case though, I'm wondering if he has a defence of taking all reasonable steps, given he did approach Greece and Cyprus before running?

The problem with that rule the way it is at the moment, is that it doesn't give them a chance to renounce a foreign citizenship within, say, 14 days of finding out, if they find out about it or obtain it after they're elected. They can renounce before they get elected, but if citizenship gets foisted on them afterwards, there's nothing they can do. Think about Matt Canavan's case, if that had happened after he was elected? It's badly written the way it is. But yes, that would need a referendum to change, so it would have to be so carefully and conservatively written to have any chance of getting up.

Last edited:
I wonder what Chinese rules are, I might be able to claim dual there......could be handy when they take over the world:)

Re safety & terrorism...
Is it time to make all major cities VEHICLE FREE ZONES???
The core of Melbourne could easily be made care free

All the proposed improved safety measures, bollards etc.....just make cities pretty pedestrain places???
Start planting trees

What would happen if Kim Jong-Un decided to bestow an unrenouncable North Korean citizenship on all of us?

last night on the Project Pricey had a suggestion - reinstate all the politicians who've been removed due to this or who are heading to the High Court ...
Give ALL politicians a one week amnesty - time to go check and renounce any dual citizenships they might have
If they have - they donate 1 month salary to charity of their chosing - penalty for not doing the right thing (regardless of the reason behind it)
After that amnesty is over any politician caught out by this loses their job, loses their salary paid from this date forward AND loses their pension.

I think its a great idea - I wasn't aware of this being an issue for our politicians - and yes - its their responsibility to know about it and do something about it. And also the Political Party's responsibility to ensure they do before selecting them to run. But as in my case countries like NZ change their citizenship laws - thereby changing my son's status - noone advised me of this. Noone contacted my son about it. So for some of these people that can also be the case. If you are unaware of the clause - if the Party doesn't make you aware of it - I can see it would be easy to overlook if you honestly believe you don't have citizenship of the other country (particularly through descendants).

I'd also like to know what Shorten has to hide - this bs about NOT needing to show proof makes me think he's hiding something. If he has nothing to hide why wouldn't he show them. Did he lie to us about WHEN he did it? Put up AND shut up!!

I tend to agree that although politicians should be expected to know what their citizenship status is, if another country changes its citizenship laws retrospectively and bestows citizenship on people who did not previously have it, it can be a bit trickier. Yes there should be checks and balances so that this information gets through to the Australian government but it may not be the first thing on people's minds.

Back