Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Yeah the evil queen, will be good to see her demoted, bitch she is.
Floki, amazing actor, and yeah I don't agree with his ways, but the love was gorgeous closure.
Ragnar is on a suicide mission, this Aussie actor has been astoundingly good, I wonder what he is up to next.

Did you watch the real vikings history specials? With some of the actors involved, Laegertha was so fun, so thrilled to find evidence of the warrior shield maidens.
SOOOO did! One spoiler in it for me (am up to date) but so interesting. And a great way to showcase history.
Ragnar isn't on a suicide mission really. He's at least 45 now. Good age for those times. For them, it's about how your remembered. And we remember him now, so good work! LOL

Reactions: kxk
Oh true, fame is all, specials were great weren't they.
And they did mention the average age Viking males lived to was only 29, so yeah he is ancient.
Dreading the future for Ragnar though, for i have read about his demise in history and try to banish it from my mind - and the legends vary anyway.
Was just looking at Fimmel's web page, he has 4 movies coming, 2 this year, 2 next, and more rumours he may be doing a prequel to Sons of Anarchy.

The special were fantastic! And I learnt that Helga is the writer's daughter from it.
Ragnar gets the future he chose. And the stories continue. as they should.

SBS Friday night movies about creative people, great movies on other nights too

Mr. Turner
8:40pm, SBS
Available after broadcast at SBS On Demand

M
UK, 2014
Genre: Biography, Drama
Language: English
Director: Mike Leigh
Starring: Timothy Spall, Paul Jesson, Dorothy Atkinson
What's it about?
Mr Turner explores the last quarter century of the great, if eccentric, British painter J.M.W. Turner. Profoundly affected by the death of his father, loved by a housekeeper he takes for granted, he forms a close relationship with a seaside landlady with whom he eventually lives incognito in Chelsea. Throughout this, he travels, paints, stays with the country aristocracy, visits brothels, and is both celebrated and reviled by the public and by royalty.

Friday 27 January
X+Y

8:40pm, SBS
Available after broadcast at SBS On Demand

PG
UK, 2015
Genre: Drama
Language: English
Director: Morgan Matthews
Starring: Asa Butterfield, Rafe Spall, Sally Hawkins
What's it about?
Based on a true story, X+Y follows teenager Nathan, played by Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children), who has Asperger Syndrome. Nathan struggles to connect with people, but he finds comfort in numbers and mathematics, at which he excels. Mentored by his teacher Mr Humphreys (played by Rafe Spall, Timothy's son), he finds new confidence and new friendships when he lands a spot on the British squad at the International Mathematics Olympiad in Taiwan. A heart-wrenching story carried by great performances, with a particular mention for the delightful Sally Hawkins as Nathan's mother.

This Wednesday - a bit of aVikings thriller looks interesting @Tuttle

Wednesday 18 January
Ragnarok

9:25pm, SBS VICELAND

PG
Norway, 2013
Genre: Action, Adventure
Language: Norwegian, Swedish
Director: Mikkel Brænne Sandemose
Starring: Pål Sverre Valheim Hagen, Nicolai Cleve Broch, Bjørn Sundquist
What's it about?
Archaeologist Sigurd Svendsen discovers that the Oseberg ship hides a secret from the Viking Age. Along with his two children put Sigurd out on a quest to find the truth. The mystery leads them into "No Man's Land" between Norway and Russia where no man traveling in modern times. Old runes take on new meaning when the secret they uncover is more frightening than anyone could have imagined.
ragnarok_704.jpg

How stupid it clashes with actual Vikings, hope it is on demand, Whiplash isn't damn and i missed that 2 fridays ago

How stupid it clashes with actual Vikings, hope it is on demand, Whiplash isn't damn and i missed that 2 fridays ago
I looked it up, doesn't have great reviews. If you have to choose, choose the one you already know is good, and catch the other later.
That would be Vikings, just in case you were still wondering. :smile: to watch on the night.

To The Manor Born is a rather fascinating show looking at the English and their obsession with class. In fact a lot of British comedies are probably based in the concept of class.

Music lovers, do you know about the Bowie special tomorrow night?

David Bowie: The Last Five Years

ABC2, 8:30pm, Sun, 19 Feb 2017, 90 minutes
(Repeated Monday 10.45pm)

NEW SHOW

This documentary is produced and directed by Francis Whately and will focus on three major projects of Bowie's last five years including unseen footage and unreleased audio interviews.

United States, English, Documentary

This is on now, and looks like fun fluff

The Astronaut Wives Club

'Launch'

7flix, 10:30pm, Mon, 27 Feb 2017, 55 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

The Space Race has heated up and the American Space Program is going great guns. NASA is ready to launch seven of its best beyond the bounds of gravity and into outer space. As the news breaks, the wives of these all-American heroes, are brought into the glare of the spotlight too, acquiring a status that not even the Kennedys can emulate.

JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Yvonne Strahovski, Dominique McElligott

Series, United States, English, Drama

New Broadchurh began Friday, and woohoo..... we are getting Nightmanager on free t!!
Starting in the Vikings slot when that series ends, end of march, Loki ie Tom Hiddleson as a sexy spy.

I loved the muppet show. My type of humor.

Also watching a bit of Magnum P I. Some dark themes for a 80's tv show.

Havent seen Housewives series but saw that Sydney housewives on tonight on fox at 8.30.
Saw the ad. Melissa Tkautz from E Street is a "housewife".
She was trying to revive her singing career and the producer in the booth in the recording studio asked her to do a 2nd take and do it perhaps in Russian.
LOL.
That alone will make me tune in tonight. Dont know what to expect from this franchise.
But that gag alone has got me in for tonight at least.

Damnation.
The scene I wanted was in the previous episode.
Verdict: Meh.
Its got trying too hard written all over it.
Pearls and bitching with a constant Sydney landmark backdrop.
Spiritual lady was a tad amusing.
Not sure if I will have a second bite. Think Ive seen all there is to see.
Pity. I have a childish disdain for Sydney culture but this was just too disney for me.
Alas. It seems me and the housewives must part.

DO NOT MISS THIS, Saturdays on TV, streaming right now, it is a fantastic show, historical stuff is heartbreaking and so recent, so fascinating about the different factions of revolution coming together

• ADD TO PLAYLIST
    1. When We Rise

1:20:42

When We Rise chronicles the personal and political struggles, set-backs and triumphs of a diverse family of LGBT men and women who helped pioneer one of the last legs of the US Civil Rights movement from its turbulent infancy in the 20th century to the once unfathomable successes of today. The period piece tells the history of the gay rights movement, starting with the Stonewall Riots in 1969. Stars Guy Pearce, Marie-Louise Parker, Rachel Griffiths, Michael Kenneth Williams, Rosie O'Donnel and Whoopi Goldberg.

• ADD TO PLAYLIST
    2. When We Rise

1:21:21

In 1978, Cleve Jones, Ken Jones and Roma Guy work together to fight Proposition 6, which would ban the LGBTQI community and their allies from working in California public schools. Ken lives secretly with his boyfriend, Richard, a social worker who would lose his job if the ballot measure were to pass. Meanwhile, Roma quickly discovers that living with her ex-girlfriend Diane and her current girlfriend, Jean, isn’t exactly ideal when Diane announces that she’s going to have one of the first ever lesbian “turkey-baster” babies. Now living in the Castro with friends Marvin and Scott, Cleve works on the campaign to elect Harvey Milk as San Francisco City Supervisor. Victory soon turns to tragedy when Milk is assassinated. The ballot box, the police, and the courts unable or unwilling to protect them, our characters rise up and take to the streets. Stars Guy Pearce, Rachel Griffiths, Mary-Louise Parker, Michael Kenneth Williams, Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg.

• ADD TO PLAYLIST
    3. When We Rise

1:21:41

A decade has passed, it’s the early 90s, HIV/AIDS continues to ravage the LGBTQI community, and Cleve, Ken and Richard now know they have this deadly disease. In order to get the country, the U.S. government and the President to give those dying of AIDS any attention, Cleve dedicates his waning energy to creating the Names Project AIDS Memorial quilt. Ken’s home ripped away from him and his health failing, Cecilia Chung helps him enter a VA hospital to receive the treatment any veteran deserves – but in this era of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, this environment proves challenging. Roma lives with Diane and Diane’s daughter, Annie, now a young pre-teen. When Annie begins asking about her father, Roma and Diane set out to find him, but are surprised to learn his identity and must make changes to their treasured little family.

• ADD TO PLAYLIST
    4. When We Rise

1:21:50

In the face of California's Proposition 8 stripping away the rights of gays and lesbians to marry, a newly energised Cleve inspires a younger generation to organize a march on Washington to demand full, federal LGBTQ equality in all matters. Meanwhile Roma uses her lessons learned as a women and LGBTQ activist to fight for healthcare in San Francisco. Ken is struggling to reconcile his sexual orientation with his love of God, so recruits an old friend to help fund a meal program for an LGBTQ inclusive church.

Back