Skip to main content

New Off Topic Thread ..... (Everyone: please be nice)

maybe i should get a tattoo. not sure of what though.

could be like a picture of the devil breathing fire and wearing hipster clothing.

or i could be ironic and get a tattoo of a kitten.

though i might get sick of explaining that it is ironic.

or is that sardonic?

or is it both?

anyway i may have to put my body on the line for love......again.

(What does that even really mean - 'haywire'?! Living in another language does make you - well, me - analyse all the wierd things we say a bit more than usual)

Ooooh you gonna give up Tina??! Wow[DOUBLEPOST=1477361362][/DOUBLEPOST]Plus I think your thinking is a bit haywire

I'll never give up Tina. Not even if you link me to a study proving that only nice people listen to her.

How is my thinking haywire?

(What does that even really mean - 'haywire'?! Living in another language does make you - well, me - analyse all the wierd things we say a bit more than usual)

hay +‎ wire To go haywire possibly originally referred to the tendency of wire spooled under tension and used in the baling of hay to spring into an unmanageable tangle once a piece had been removed from the factory spool, e.g., "he took off the back of his watch, removed a gear and the whole works went haywire." Or a tendency of slap-dash repairs done with scraps of baling wire to fail catastrophically at times of mechanical stress. Perhaps the meaning of haywire – all in disarray or disrepair – stems from this expression.

hay +‎ wire To go haywire possibly originally referred to the tendency of wire spooled under tension and used in the baling of hay to spring into an unmanageable tangle once a piece had been removed from the factory spool, e.g., "he took off the back of his watch, removed a gear and the whole works went haywire." Or a tendency of slap-dash repairs done with scraps of baling wire to fail catastrophically at times of mechanical stress. Perhaps the meaning of haywire – all in disarray or disrepair – stems from this expression.
Thanks qtkt. Yes I actually googled it myself as well after I wrote that. Was just too lazy to post I guess! Plus I still think it's a bit funny. Does no other wire behave like that, or get spooled.... Only haywire!! Anyway its all good fun explaining these things to non-english speakers. And trying to interpret them when they are in another language. Keeps me amused!

Thanks qtkt. Yes I actually googled it myself as well after I wrote that. Was just too lazy to post I guess! Plus I still think it's a bit funny. Does no other wire behave like that, or get spooled.... Only haywire!! Anyway its all good fun explaining these things to non-english speakers. And trying to interpret them when they are in another language. Keeps me amused!

What other words do you find funny?

I dont know. You are in a real quandry. Thats another cute word quandry.

I hate cute words. Just like I hate communism.

I could not say please or thank you anymore? If i do that then it will mean that i am not nice anymore. Therefore making me much more attractive.

should i mention that i was banned from this forum for a month on my okcupid profile?

just so i can show that i am not a nice person?

Back