Skip to main content

BBUSA: Over the Top - online series on CBS All Access

To be fair $6 is a very reasonable price - before launching CBS All Access when they used to charge for the live streams via RealPlayer it was around twice that price.

I'll be waiting for someone to post it to YouTube or Dailymotion. I am not paying $6 a month for this.

Just as Brekkie said $6/month is more than reasonable... So maybe it's time to ask mommy and daddy to increase your allowance if you're finding that price point to be a little steep...

As CBS All Access is restricted to the US you should be happy that it's even available to you...

As for finding it elsewhere you're likely going to be screwed if you're not a subscriber... It sounds like CBS plan to use the live feed as the main access point for viewers... I suspect the "daily updates" will be very different from traditional broadcast episodes... It's very unlikely we'll see anything resembling the daily highlights we're used to seeing internationally... Updates will likely consist of a collection of condensed "highlights" rather than a single continuous storyline...

I don't expect the weekly live episodes to be much different either... CBS already struggle to condence a weeks worth of content in to 3 episodes let alone a single episode...

What would be good (well, for Canadians and Americans anyway) is for Global to strike a deal with CBS to make the show available to their audience too - in return for BB Canada being available on CBS All Access. If CBS chiefs are willing to go to the expense of making an entire season to lure BB fans to CBS All Access then surely it's a no brainer to make BB Canada available to them too.

What would be good (well, for Canadians and Americans anyway) is for Global to strike a deal with CBS to make the show available to their audience too - in return for BB Canada being available on CBS All Access. If CBS chiefs are willing to go to the expense of making an entire season to lure BB fans to CBS All Access then surely it's a no brainer to make BB Canada available to them too.

The geo-restrictions never had anything to do with BB Canada and everything to do with CBS wanting to get in on the streaming business... CBS has slowly been working on removing their programing from streaming services for years now... However it's only been recently that they've been positioned to launch a competing product and charge the kind of money they want for it... The fact that the feeds were available in Canada for as long as they were was merely a gesture of good will and the fact real player essentially offered an exclusive service dedicated to BB... The launch of BB Canada and CBS transitioning to exclusive ownership of BBUS live feeds was merely a coincidence...

And then both shows could be available on Pop, where we already see Big Brother After Dark (then we wouldn't have to see all those Dynasty and BH90210 reruns). If that's not feasible, AXS TV could work.

What CBS fails to realize is that certain long-time viewers of the show cannot or will not pay for Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming services. By going exclusively subscription, they're going to lose a large part of the fanbase. Now, does CBS All Access offer commercial-free content? I don't think so. Hulu still has ads, why shouldn't AA?

And then both shows could be available on Pop, where we already see Big Brother After Dark (then we wouldn't have to see all those Dynasty and BH90210 reruns). If that's not feasible, AXS TV could work.

What CBS fails to realize is that certain long-time viewers of the show cannot or will not pay for Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming services. By going exclusively subscription, they're going to lose a large part of the fanbase. Now, does CBS All Access offer commercial-free content? I don't think so. Hulu still has ads, why shouldn't AA?

Once again do I really need to draw you a picture as to why CBS isn't airing this on TV? BB already has a MASSIVE online following that already subscribe to CBS All Access the hope is they'll be able to hold on to those viewers that would normally drop the service after BB ends... The majority of households these days already subscribe to at least one online service and they only need to lure away a mere handful of subs to pull this off... $5.99/month is also an EXTREMELY reasonable price point considering the amount of content subscribers are going to receive and it comes in at a lower cost than competing services... Lastly CBS could give two shits if you're too poor or cheap to subscribe... The first two series of BB Canada aired on Slice which was broadcast exclusively on cable and in most markets required an additional cable package in order to watch and that didn't prevent it from achieving MASSIVE ratings... Without All Access there would be no need for CBS or any associated networks to even think about producing an additional series... Now STFU and MOVE ON!!! This is the LAST time we are going to have this conversation... I repeat the LAST!!!

Last edited:
The schedule:
big-brother-over-the-top1.jpg

And confirmation they'll be no jury, with the viewers deciding the winner. Subscribers can also vote for either Jason or Josea from the last couple of seasons to enter the house.

Oh, this schedule looks soooo good! It reminds me of BBAU. Now why can't we get this on the regular show? (Oh, and in advance, STFU, Kingston).

The final 3,houseguests from the last season, especially Nicole were devastated to learn that a new season will start in a week. They thought they might get a puppy to play with when instead they got the announcement that pretty much spelt out they will be yesterday's news.

Still doing returnees then, the last couple of seasons of that have been horrible. Neither option sounds great, I suppose something called Over The Top would include them as options. No jury means freer gameplay which potentially isn't a bad thing, and some bitter losers not having an influence.

It'll be interesting to see when they find out there is no jury. I'd like them to at least hold it back until the point where they expect people to go to jury (probably final 9 in this shortened season) so people can see whether the HGs change their behaviour in reaction to it.

Actually it'll be interesting to see what role "Big Brother" (aka producers) play in the ceremonies, especially the eviction and HoH comp which seemingly will not be hosted by Julie considering the evictee interview is the following afternoon. If the comps are going out live there will inevitably have to be some direction from producers in the guise of Big Brother - probably not as much as the norm, but they'll certainly have to be some.

Actually it'll be interesting to see what role "Big Brother" (aka producers) play in the ceremonies, especially the eviction and HoH comp which seemingly will not be hosted by Julie considering the evictee interview is the following afternoon. If the comps are going out live there will inevitably have to be some direction from producers in the guise of Big Brother - probably not as much as the norm, but they'll certainly have to be some.

To be honest I think you're wrong... I'm sure just like the broadcast version the producers will continue to downplay the fact that they've given HG's any sort of direction or scripting...

The main purpose of the scripting in the broadcast version is to produce a polished look... Now as this show is airing competitions and meetings live as they happen it simply does not make sense for the producers to insist they get every shot perfect... So as a result there should be less interference and events will be allowed to happen in a more natural environment...

If they do have to step in it's very likely to be business as usual... The day to day BB voice will be pre-recorded by Don Wollman and spur of the moment directions will be voiced by a random producer on the spot... By no means will there be any sort of attempts to formalize the way producers/BB's interact with the HG's...

As for Julie she's made it very clear that she's still very much the host of the series... They've hinted that her role
"might be different" but by no means does mean she can't or won't be involved in the live eviction... The fact that they have interviews scheduled the day following the eviction is really irrelevant to whether or not Julie will host the eviction... Considering The Talk is filmed in the same studio complex it would be very easy for her to be available when she's needed the following day...

@DigitalCorp I don't know why you continue to bring up your idiotic desires to have BBUS evolve in to a clone of BBAU... It seems if it's not one thing it's another with you... I'm getting sick and tired of having the same conversations over and over and over again with you!!! Get some new material or STFU!!!

Honestly this was quite refreshing seeing them enter the House live. Julie only had a 15 minute piece and then we started with the Housemates entering the House. The idea having them enter one by one did give me a feel for the UK/Australia style but this was unique after Julie's 15 minute segment the live feeds were switched on and viewers were able to watch each Housemate enter unedited with no host or commercials. The only complaint I had was it took them 2 hours to send them all in but the experience was unique felt like the viewer was the first person in the House.

The Head of Household competition will take place tomorrow the Housemates get tonight off. Although I don't know if there was an issue with the PA system but Big Brother was announcing the store room was open about 4-5 times which had their booze lol. Since I have to work the next 3 days I'll miss a lot of it but I'll comment how the weekday recaps go. Friday I'm looking forward to seeing the Diary Room sessions.

Overall I do get an international vibe from the show based on the schedule they have released but you can tell its still American BB. Producers did mention that certain comps like Zingbot and Otev will remain with the broadcast edition but there will be things new to OTT. The smaller cast does remind me of BB seasons from the early days of BBUS 1-3 and BBUK 1-4.

The mix of the group so far seems pretty good definatly not the mix we've been accustom to on the televised edition casted by Robyn Kass rumor is the Survivor casting team was behind the selection this time around.

Back