Skip to main content

The Block-Art deco building

So why exactly is Shelley Craft still involved with show? If they've relegated her weekly apartment tour to being an online exclusive, what do they gain from keeping her on the payroll?

Unless this first week has been compacted for whatever reason, it makes no sense to have her around if the show is only on three times a week for the entire season. Her role has been diminishing ever since they axed The Block Unlocked and then replaced it with Open House - which fared even worse and was moved to a midday weekend timeslot before just disappearing midway through Triple Threat. The new format won't allow for any challenges either - and the majority of them during Blocktagon were "hosted" by Scotty.

She's just a vestigial limb on a show that has evolved and left her behind.

Are they doing away with the challenges?

THANK GOD.

I want to see them reno not dress a Myer window display.

THANK GOD.
They may say that but the launch show was a huge product placement challenge. Which was enough to make me not want to come back for the second episode.

Reactions: kxk
They may say that but the launch show was a huge product placement challenge. Which was enough to make me not want to come back for the second episode.

They always have a challenge on first episode to decide apartments or previously to eliminate a team so it's not exactly new. As for the product placement you just got to deal as The Block is gold standard for embedded marketing.

THANK GOD.

I want to see them reno not dress a Myer window display.
Given that it looks like they've scaled the show back to three nights a week, I don't see how they could work a weekly challenge in because it would force them to condense an entire week into a single episode.

I'm so glad they've scaled it back to three nights a week, that's more than enough.

As for the product placement you just got to deal as The Block is gold standard for embedded marketing.

:cautious: and there I was thinking to myself how lovely that mobile McCafe's park near every building site in australia.

as for challenges, it divides into two: those that are plain stupid (all kinds of relay
races for cash) and those that require creativity and are relevant (make a headboard that you have to use in the unit).
I hope they do at least a couple good challenges, maybe quick ones in the building site instead
of driving somewhere, like was done on the block nz.

They really did let the challenges get away from them. The challenges were initially introduced in 2011 to help the contestants - Scotty's challenges were designed to teach them new skills that would potentially help them during the renovation, while Shelley's were designed to get their creative juices flowing.

Things went to shit in 2012 when they had them bowling at some Gold Mine inspired place, go-karting, racing through a pond in swan-boats and putting together fake weddings for Polly & Waz and Josh & Jenna. All of which I remember from Dani's various meltdowns. :D

:cautious: and there I was thinking to myself how lovely that mobile McCafe's park near every building site in australia.

as for challenges, it divides into two: those that are plain stupid (all kinds of relay
races for cash) and those that require creativity and are relevant (make a headboard that you have to use in the unit).
I hope they do at least a couple good challenges, maybe quick ones in the building site instead
of driving somewhere, like was done on the block nz.

They really did let the challenges get away from them. The challenges were initially introduced in 2011 to help the contestants - Scotty's challenges were designed to teach them new skills that would potentially help them during the renovation, while Shelley's were designed to get their creative juices flowing.

Things went to shit in 2012 when they had them bowling at some Gold Mine inspired place, go-karting, racing through a pond in swan-boats and putting together fake weddings for Polly & Waz and Josh & Jenna. All of which I remember from Dani's various meltdowns. :D

Yeah you guys make good points. I'd selectively forgotten about the challenges that were actually reno related and if I'm honest I don't mind those types at all. But like @Rison says they got to the point where they were just plain stupid which pissed me off. IIRC there were even times when the challenge would be over multiple episodes!

I could live with them pairing the challenges back to 'basics' but I still don't think I'd miss them if they are gone altogether.

I read ages ago that the point of the challenges was to make the show more family friendly because that's what the kids like to watch, so it increased their potential audience (and subsequently this kind of strategy got used by Nine to try to bolster Big Brother's audience. Ugh). Using Shelly Craft in her perky, excitable Play School type role is therefore explained.

I think they call it Pester Power....

"Awwww Mommy, but I don't want to.... I want (your attention) us to watch that silly lady with the bubbles telling adults to run around like children making arses of themselves for $money$. If you let me, I won't ask for anything else, and I won't be a painful little prick about going to bed on a school night, nor guilt you over X, Y, Z in the process (which I know always results in me getting what I want...I want....I want......)

Nawwwwww, thanks Mommy. It was nice doing business with you."

Last edited by a moderator:
are kids considered a good demographic to have?
do they have influence on what the parents watch?
Yes, if the kids want to watch something often the parents go along for the ride. My former boss was quite relieved when his 9yo daughter eventually ran out of enthusiasm for The Block.

Just watched the reveals. The boys styling was ATROCIOUS. Gave me a laugh though. My thoughts and rankings for the week are as follows.

1. Will & Karlie were my favourite; felt a bit warmer to me than Julia & Sasha's. Would change a few things though such as getting rid of the LED lighting under the cabinet and making the cabinet black.
2. Julia & Sasha's was definitely good but it felt a little clinical/cold for my liking. Loved the cabinet and basin though!
3. Thought Chris & Kim's was fine, the wrong style sure but I didn't mind it at all. They could have fit a bath in there for sure though.
4. Dan & Carleen's was the most art deco and surprisingly I didn't hate it. It felt too cluttered to me though, like their room was way smaller than the others? I know they were unfinished but I felt the judges were a bit brutal.
5. Ben & Andy's didn't interest me at all. Completely surprised they did as well as they did!

Wow where to start on those 5 bland from blandville bathrooms.

A. Size - seriously do they need en suites the size of living rooms?
soon we'll be in quadruple shower heads just to fill those wasted spaces.
so lol when chris/kim said they couldnt fit a bathroom in and the camera shows
a vast empty bathroom. it looked more like an empty showroom.
The ground floor is so tall, their rooms have echoes.

B. those tile choices by all the 5 teams - either yawn, clinical or chris and kim
with those hexagonal pukey colours.. ugh it was terrible, deserved 4 or 5 at most.

C. The style - art deco. Black trims, black accents and gold, how so unpredictable.
It was like the girls opened a magazine and copy pasted whatever they found.

D. If these bathrooms are to go by, the teams have very little creativity, dont know
how to handle those vast spaces, and instead of clever creative and new ideas,
are fixated on trying to cram something art deco.

E. The "warehouse" has surprisingly been decorated to look much more like..
the house rules set. even how the teams are placed 3 back and 2 front. hmm.

my score for first room reveal: underwhelming, 4.

Last edited:
I haven't watched The Block since Darren & Dee won.

Not because they won, I wanted them to win.

Because I found mistakes the production made. (to make D & D to be evil)

I posted photos of production errors on the Blocks facebook page & I was banned.

eg: Where D & D dumped something that was in the van & Cam etc said, they blocked a neighbours door & the photo showed it wasn't.

Dee had a huge 'argument' yet the photo I posted showed her in different clothing & her hair was short, long, short again.

Dee had a huge 'argument' yet the photo I posted showed her in different clothing & her hair was short, long, short again.
That was the one when they did the ground floor entry etc and the space was clear, then had shit in front of it again... there were a bunch of continuity errors in that season. It's probably also the last AU Block I watched too.

I haven't watched The Block since Darren & Dee won.

Not because they won, I wanted them to win.

Because I found mistakes the production made. (to make D & D to be evil)

I posted photos of production errors on the Blocks facebook page & I was banned.

eg: Where D & D dumped something that was in the van & Cam etc said, they blocked a neighbours door & the photo showed it wasn't.

Hardly surprising since Steve was going off during Fans vs Favourites when they the audio from a conversation he had weeks earlier with a plumber, and then overlayed that audio with footage of him talking to a furniture supplier so it made him look like an idiot. He had a long list of shit like that they manipulated.

They're not even being subtle with producer interference now either - on last night's episode they just so happen to have the number for a tiler that was able to come last minute for the older couple and do the job for them. More like they deliberately waited to tell their tiler to leave and already had this other guy on stand-by to create some drama - which failed because they didn't even flip shit, they just jumped straight on the phones. lel.

Yes suddenly the production's tiler could come in and work all night.. it was a bit strange.
obviously they were afraid of a bathroom reveal with no tiling.

seems this season no neighbor issues, so does that mean they dont have
a daily time limit and can work at any hours with tools?

The production messes with any RTV show. its a given that they want drama and what
we see is heavily edited in any show. They can also heavily influence drama through
the judging scores (same with House Rules).
At least they cant mess with the auctions. I still love watching the block though
because you see creativity and you see real stress.

At least they cant mess with the auctions.

I love it when the so called expect judges rip into a couple most of the season & give them shit scores & the couple go onto win The Block.

Chantelle & Steve, Dee & Darren to name just 2 couples.

Back