Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

Friday's two episodes of Big Bang got about the same as recent BB Friday shows. 468,000 and 448,000 and were still fourth in that time period.

The demos were also weaker. The first ep of TBBT was beaten by The Living Room in that timeslot in all 3 demos. The second ep won its slot marginally in 16-39 and 18-49, but lost to TLR in 25-54.

NO2OyZT.png

Anyone actually watching Gotham? I lost interest part way through the first episode, and haven't been back.

Anyone actually watching Gotham? I lost interest part way through the first episode, and haven't been back.
I do, I like it. I've never really watched or read any superhero stuff though so I'm probably not the target demographic. I just like the corrupt police force sort of story lines.

Monday

Total # 13
25-54 #3
18-49 #3
16-39 #3

Last Monday
Consolidated 706,000
+62,000 9.7%
Number 6 time shifted program (Blacklist number one with 259,000 extra viewers)

Good figures! Not the greatest ever episode last night, but at least the novelty value of the 4 new people was there.
The Big Adventure is a joke. I watched some of the first episode, and have not been back since, it is just a cheap and bad rip-off of Survivor.

Last Monday demos were 8, 6 and 6
Monday before 8, 6, 4

So demos did improve :)

Also still a great position for Nine. Big Bang got #1 and 2 in all demos.

Ok, but when they had say 620K total, with demos of 2,2,1 compared to 700K with a 3,3,3, how does that translate to advertisers?

EDIT: note I'm not using real figures, and it's a sincere question. :)

Ok, but when they had say 620K total, with demos of 2,2,1 compared to 700K with a 3,3,3, how does that translate to advertisers?

Total people ratings are used for headlines. Now I'm not saying that has nothing to do with a show's chances. Because the headlines help the ratings as the articles are written using the total people ratings - so of course that has an impact on demos.

However as far as I can tell, advertisers buy their slots based on the demo averages for the season. Probably more so the # not even he rank in the demos.

Good figures! Not the greatest ever episode last night, but at least the novelty value of the 4 new people was there.
The Big Adventure is a joke. I watched some of the first episode, and have not been back since, it is just a cheap and bad rip-off of Survivor.
It makes it even more of a joke that Nine isn't attempting to strangle the Big Adventure at birth by using Big Brother against it on Sundays and Mondays. Even with a poor season I think most BB fans would stick with BB rather than giving a rival show the chance.

Total people ratings are used for headlines. Now I'm not saying that has nothing to do with a show's chances. Because the headlines help the ratings as the articles are written using the total people ratings - so of course that has an impact on demos.

However as far as I can tell, advertisers buy their slots based on the demo averages for the season. Probably more so the # not even he rank in the demos.
Ahhhh. so we really SHOULD be looking at the actual "bums on seats" number WITHIN the each of the demos. Are those figures published or are they derivable from other published figures?

Ahhhh. so we really SHOULD be looking at the actual "bums on seats" number WITHIN the each of the demos. Are those figures published or are they derivable from other published figures?

The rank is still important, because obviously they want to be advertising in whatever show the MOST people in the demos are watching in each timeslot.

But yes the numbers can be found in the ratings reports, but only top 5
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/category/ratings

so for example

Last night (27th)
25-54 #3 (421,000)
18-49 #3 (436,000)
16-39 #3 (332,000)

Last Monday I don't know as it wasn't in top 5

Although BB may drop in the demo rankings, the actual number of demo viewers may not have declined. BB did well demographically last night. It only came 3rd because BBT was on, and that show is so strong in new eps, NOT because BB actually lost viewers. The high BBT numbers were what pushed BB to 3rd, bot really a drop for BB.

Thanks, chaps, I feel I've discovered an extra depth I (perhaps stupidly) hadn't realized. I wasn't aware that actual 'bums on seats' numbers were published for the demos.

TA, muchley :)

Back