Skip to main content

The Block: Glasshouse

'Whatever has happened - it's a disaster': The Block's Dee and Darren get slammed as they fail to finish AGAIN, while Michael and Carlene take home $10,000
By Laura Evans For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 20:26 AEST, 31 August 2014 | Updated: 20:26 AEST, 31 August 2014

They failed to complete last week's master bedroom challenge because of an unexpected family illness.

And it was a case of history repeating itself as The Block's Dee and Darren once again failed to produce a finished room in time for Sunday night's room reveal, after being let down by their staircase designer.

At the halfway point in the competition the five couples were tasked with presenting their finished staircases, powder and laundry room - but achieved vastly differing results.

1409477991238_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

Winners are grinners! The Block's Michael and Carlene win Sunday's room reveal with 28 points, beating brothers Simon and Shannon who received a score of 27

1409478283841_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

Scores on the doors! The teams scores differed widely on staircase, powder and laundry week - the half way point of the competition

Crowned this week's winners Michael and Carlene beat brothers Shannon and Simon by one point, trumping the boys score of 27 with 28.

The husband and wife team impressed with their statement staircase that judge Neale Whittaker called 'beautiful, really, really smart - I love they way they look as if they just float'.

Meanwhile Shaynna Blaze and Darren Palmer were equally complimentary admiring their deep blue colour palate, which contrasted handsomely with the robust steel banister, giving the space a 'sculptural' feel.

1409478104548_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

We did it! The pair wowed the judges with their staircase, laundry and powder room, winning for the first time

1409478165586_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Bold and beautiful: The judges were impressed by the colour palate and the contrast of the steel rails

1409478218386_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Sexy design: All three judges loved the powder room and laundry in particular the bronze mirror and matte finish on the doors

The judges were also in raptures over the couple's combined powder room and laundry, which Shaynna branded 'sexy', admiring the duo's attention to detail and signature style.

The bronzed mirror, matte finish on the doors, and the pair's sheer consistency won them praise from the notoriously hard to please trio.

Things did not go so well for Chris and Jenna.

The judges were immediately unsure of the couple's decision to introduce a void into their space, and questioned their choice of banister, which was labelled too 'heavy'.

1409478415309_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Unhappy: Dee and Darren failed to finish their rooms after being let down by their staircase designers Hans

Inside the laundry and powder room the comments went from bad to worse.

'Oh my goodness what has happened this is all angles, hard lines - this actually feels horrible,' said Shaynna of the angular design aesthetic.

While Neale agreed, 'everything feels wrong', commenting that all their choices were bad - in particular the white grout between the tiles, cheap laundry bin and fold down ironing board.

'They've lost their way, I'm really nervous for them. Everything jars for them,' said a concerned Shaynna as the judges clapped eyes on a 'disco' style work top - it was a score of 20 for the duo.

1409478698857_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Outdated: Max and Karstan's under the stairs wine rack was criticised for being small and constrained

1409478742590_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Slammed: Chris and Jenna didn't fair well under the judges eagle eye who said the couple had lost their way

Max and Karstan didn't fair much better with their stairwell branded 'small' and 'constrained' by Neale.

The dark wood stairs and the glass side was called 'unpractical', 'high maintenance' and 'potentially dangerous' by Darren.

Once again the couple's outdated design was criticised for feeling too eighties with their under the stairs wine rack failing to have the desired effect.

Into the powder room and Neale's feelings remained the same as he confessed he felt 'ambivalent' about the bland space which he called 'generic', giving the couple a 23 for their efforts.

1409478799093_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

Unfinished: Dee and Darren presented a staircase that wasn't complete leaving the judges no choice but to give them low marks

1409478850465_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

Gargantuan: Judge Darren Palmer (middle) worried that this series of The Block was the most difficult yet as two rooms so far have failed to be completed

Luckily, New South Wales wonder brothers Simon and Shannon inspired the judges with their fabulous chunky, geometric stairs, which were called 'confident, bold and contemporary'.

The boys choice of pendants were applauded for adding a sculptural element to the space, which they felt would appeal to a design-savvy, urban buyer.

While the laundry and powder room oozed quality with a sophisticated choice of appliances.

Saving the worst till last the judges were disappointed to see that Dee and Darren were unable to complete their room.

'Whatever has happened - it's a bit of a disaster', said Shaynna as they realised it was the second time on this series that a couple had failed to deliver a completed room, prompting Darren to wonder if this series was too 'gargantuan'.

1409478923147_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25_31_08_201.JPG

Bold and contemporary: Brothers Shannon and Simon wowed the judges with their chunky staircase

1409478975046_Image_galleryImage_The_Block_Ep_25.JPG

• Consistent: The boys have impressed throughout the competition with Shaynna saying they would attract a design-savvy buyer

While they could barely mark the unfinished stairs, the laundry and powder room were equally unfinished, as Neale commented 'something has gone horribly wrong this week'.

On a positive note Shaynna was impressed by the choice of appliances, colour plate and style of the rooms but with so much unfinished they awarded the couple 17 points.

The episode finished with a final twist: instead of marking each other's apartments this week a group of buyers would be going through the building and giving feedback.

Tune in on Channel Nine at 7.30pm on Monday to find out what they think.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/aushowbi...ichael-Carlene-home-10-000.html#ixzz3By7ZzHZe
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

How can D&D get 3 points less than Jenna & Chris who finished their rooms.

D&D didn't finish anything.

I think the judges must be blinded by the fact that Darren is an ex AFL 'star' & Dee being a complete bitch who could rip the judges voice boxes out.

I read this is the 2nd time D&D haven't completed their rooms.

How can D&D get 3 points less than Jenna & Chris who finished their rooms.

D&D didn't finish anything.

I think the judges must be blinded by the fact that Darren is an ex AFL 'star' & Dee being a complete bitch who could rip the judges voice boxes out.

I read this is the 2nd time D&D haven't completed their rooms.
This week's scoring was complete bs. Shaynna gave D&D a higher mark for two areas that weren't even close to being finished than she did the twins' bathroom last year. And Darren gives Chris and Jenna only a half point more. How can you get a pass or higher mark when even adding up what D&D completed wouldn't equal one finished space?!

I think this week is when it's finally going to get good now though with Max and Karstan being accused of cheating and Scotty doing an audit of their finances. It'll probably result in nothing but at least it'll provide a bit of excitement.

I think this week is when it's finally going to get good now though with Max and Karstan being accused of cheating and Scotty doing an audit of their finances.

They should have done an audit when Brad & Lara were on the show, as they didn't pay some of their tradies.

I think I have watched about 10 mins of the show.

I am over Scott Cam & Keith saying nasty things about the contestants. (I decided not to watch this series because of them)

The 10 mins I have seen, Scott Cam & Keith have slagged off contestants.

Scottie and Keith kind of have to slag them because they are fairly boring, so need to create some drama

I am starting to think they amp up the BB promos during The Block ads to get some ratings.. I'm starting to really get over this series... :/ zZZzzz

I am starting to think they amp up the BB promos during The Block ads to get some ratings.. I'm starting to really get over this series... :/ zZZzzz
Either that ... Or they are using their highest rating program to launch their next tentpole reality series ;)

Either that ... Or they are using their highest rating program to launch their next tentpole reality series ;)

Conspiracies abound haha. You're probably right.. But it IS getting incredibly boring now. At least we don't have much longer to wait until BB to ease the pain lol

Drove by the Block yesterday, still looks like a shitty office block, all dark mirrors, and now added bits of dark wood.
The reveals are dull, still looks like some kind of bed sales display, it's just offices with beds.

Drove by the Block yesterday, still looks like a shitty office block, all dark mirrors, and now added bits of dark wood.
The reveals are dull, still looks like some kind of bed sales display, it's just offices with beds.
I wants me an office with a bed. Work sucks at the moment.

haha, did anyone else notice when Chris & Jenna were arguing with their builders at the front of the building, the Block Shop was not even fitted out, let alone open. This dispute obviously took place weeks earlier that what else is currently being shown.

haha, did anyone else notice when Chris & Jenna were arguing with their builders at the front of the building, the Block Shop was not even fitted out, let alone open. This dispute obviously took place weeks earlier that what else is currently being shown.

Really? Are you sure.

yeah I think it was shown in the last week or two that their builders were wanting to be paid, so was surprised to see it was still an issue....

Back