Skip to main content

Post BB - Housemate Antics 2013 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying you are. But I find it funny you dragged up something I wrote in jest a few pages ago just to nitpick. And don't try and say "I was genuinely curious" because you weren't. You were nitpicking.
You always think the worst of me. lol :( In my defense I don't peruse this thread that often, sometimes days between visits so I tend to check it out page by page. Under my settings this was just 1 page back, not pages and pages. :)

Exactly. I thought "gewls" was the way we'd decided to refer to Ed's pronounciation of it in here so I used that spelling so people would know what I was referring to. Didn't put anymore thought into it than that.

Didn't realise it would set people off and become a big thing though.

Oh, ok that's all I needed to know. I thought it was just me that was unaware all this time of a diphthong that existed in Australian English. :confused: Thanks for clarifying. :)

ok so just to be totally OT as well ... how do YOU pronouce Buoy anyway?

I've always known it to be pronounced the exact same as boys ... but have a MIL who says its BOOey ... so we're out sailing the harbour and she thinks we should head round the booeys and I'm thinking WTF ...

so is BOOey an Australian thang or is she just nutz?

I was under the impression Boo-ey is the yank pronunciation, blame it on the corrupting insidious influence of 'murican tv crimmy.

The word comes from buoyancy and funnily enough the sepps also pronounce it the same as the pommies/aussies. :)

Last edited:
ok so just to be totally OT as well ... how do YOU pronouce Buoy anyway?

I've always known it to be pronounced the exact same as boys ... but have a MIL who says its BOOey ... so we're out sailing the harbour and she thinks we should head round the booeys and I'm thinking WTF ...

so is BOOey an Australian thang or is she just nutz?

I've always heard it as 'boy', but have been told it is actually' booey'. I'm not into sailing so really don't know. Growing up there was a brand of soap called Life Buoy, with a picture of a bouy on the wrapper, and it was pronounced 'boy' in commercials.

giphy.gif

see now I want to know what upset Harrison Ford ... anyone know and care to ease my worries?

I've always heard it as 'boy', but have been told it is actually' booey'. I'm not into sailing so really don't know. Growing up there was a brand of soap called Life Buoy, with a picture of a bouy on the wrapper, and it was pronounced 'boy' in commercials.
remember it well :)

I was under the impression Boo-ey is the yank pronunciation, blame on the corrupting insidious influence of 'murican tv crimmy.

The word comes from buoyancy and funnily enough the sepps also pronounce it the same as the pommies/aussies. :)
wonder how they get their mouths around bouyant and bouyancy then .... I guess Gilligan's Island never enlightened me on this one ;)

I do. :) I have acCurious mind always on the lookout to learn something new. :bookworm:
sooooo are you going to enlighten me?
in my defence I spent 1.5 hours and $550 at the dentist today, have a numb face and would love a drink but would probably dribble so won't be doing that here at work ... so take pity on ole crimmy please? :whistling:

see now I want to know what upset Harrison Ford ... anyone know and care to ease my worries?

lol apparently it's Harrison Ford’s interview on Conan O'Brien when a guy asked Harrison what colour was the tip of his whip in Raiders of the Lost Ark

(now you're wondering about the tip of his whip aren't you haha)

sooooo are you going to enlighten me?
in my defence I spent 1.5 hours and $550 at the dentist today, have a numb face and would love a drink but would probably dribble so won't be doing that here at work ... so take pity on ole crimmy please? :whistling:
Oh, that gif was a dig at me for wanting to find out about why certain posters decided to transcribe how Ed pronounces girl as 'gewl'. What can I say, it was an itch that needed to be scratched. :)

We say "boo-ee" (not all Americans, but probably most) but "boy-ant"/"boy-ancy." Pronouncing it "boy" sounds just as weird to my ears as "boo-ee" does to Brits/Australians, trust me.

FFS these stupid back and forth arguments about English are as bad as the spelling and grammar police on other sites. Who gives a shit!

Oh look, another pointless post about off topic comments. Who cares about people who don't have the capability of ignoring or skim reading posts.

I skipped a whole bunch of pages from some commenters who were going on a late night off topic convo. My life is not made worse by overlooking some posts on this forum. You're not missing out on secret information.

But I guess you're just staying true to your username by having a tizzy so it's cool hahaha

Although if there was some hard and fast rule which banned all OT posts I wouldn't have an issue with that either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back